Spinning reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by beaneye46, Mar 21, 2006.

1. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i came to the conclusion, that a good spinning reel with a line out switch and clicker would probably out perform most bait casters. i had several abu garcia's and for the money i wasn't impressed, one sand tore it apart, and the other the gears gave out. and with a spinning reel you can set the drag higher than most other reels.

2. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Really Like Spinning Reels Or Baitrunners Better Than Baitcasters. I Have 3 Baitcasters That I Use Also Without Too Many Problems, But I Prefer Baitrunners, But This Is Only My Opinion & Preference.

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    My 2 cents/opinions

To me the Baitcasters have more options and I'm a spinning guy! Try to find a 90 size Surf Spin with a low gear ratio guys.......like under or @ a 1-2.8!! If Okuma made one for under $120 I'd have 2.

:cry-big:

The age old agrument to me is Tight-Lining vs Free-Lining !

4. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I have 5 shimano baitrunners and I wouldnt give them up for 10 baitcasters.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I personally prefer baitcasters for most catfishing I do, I only like using spinning reels for bobber fishing or throwing lures or something.:)

6. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    i prefer the spinning reels

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have yet to see a baitcaster flatten or twist my line. I used to use spinning reels for years but have since gotten over it, lol!!! I won't try to tell you what kind of reel to use either. I wouldn't listen to anyone back then either. I learned by watching what spinning reels do to the line and being that I liked physicswhen I was in school, I just applied some of those laws to my fishing reel choice.

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like the baitcasters myself but i birdnest all of them at least one time everytime im out lol.

9. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Dont feel bad I do too and Ill bet most others do often enough.
    I like openface spinning reels just fine and if they had loud enough clickers Id probably have both , like JW said its hard to deny the science and strength behind the baitcasters

10. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    i have to agree with dreadnaught, i do fish for stripers while waiting on a big cat. i use a abu spin cast:crying: :mad: :sad: . if it werent for trying to get my boat together before fishing season is in full swing, i would have me a small baitcaster for my striper fishing as well. i will never spend another penny well as a matter of fact some one couldnt give me a spin cast reel. now this is just my oppinion. ducain and i went out fishing sunday after church, after about an hour he asked whats going on up there your working on your reel about every 3 cast. :mad: :mad:

11. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I own and use both spinning and bait casting. I use spinning most of the time when bank fishing. The larger spinning reels( 80 and 90 size) have great drags, smother than my abus. Most line twist comes from reeling while the fish is taking drag or when the line is put on the reel.

12. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    My favorite spinning reel would have to be the PENN 750,850,or 950SS models.These have the gears to handle about anything you want to hang on to.I do use several other brands but prefer Penn.But I do prefer baitcasters for most large catfishing.JMO.

13. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I use the old French made Garcia Mitchell spinning reels for most of my fishing. Built like a brick s***house. I sold all my Shimanos, too much plastic inside for my liking.

14. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I have posted before that I use spinning reels for 95% of my fresh water applications. This is a Fact!! I also have baitcaster reels that are primarily used for salt water applications. I trust my spinning reels to handle the Wels of europe and have not found a reason to switch. When we are fishing as a group in France, we use up to 15 reels at one time and have the baitcasters out as well. Some of the guys are not comfortable with baitcasters and will pass on a take if it is on them. I say fish on and pick up the rod whatever kind it may be. I have the Shimano 6500A baitrunner models as the primary spinning reels of choice and the Okuma EB80s as the second range of equipment. We also have the Penn baitcasters along with other Okuma baitcasters for usage. Will I change once I return to the USA? NO! I am confident that the equipment that I have will perform just as well when I return! JMHO!!

HOPPY4

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have gotta be realistic and say that it does not really matter. Most of us are not going to catch that dream catfish...we dream, we hope, but we always see someone else bring them in. That's why I'd like to chunk an ultr-light with 5 oz of lead...a 5 lb fish would be the same as catching a 60 or 70 pounder on the abu's or spinning reels.

16. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah but ya got to keep the faith:rolleyes: :thumbsup: