Spinning Reels with Baitrunner option

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by mofisherman, Sep 5, 2009.

1. mofisherman

mofisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri (St. Louis Area)
    Anyone use spinning reels with baitrunners? Likes / dislikes ??

2. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I got both bait casters and a couple shimano 6500Bs and So Far I just love mine. when I'm going out fishing I always take: 2= Abu and 2 shimano 6500bs too. My bait runners go in the water 1st.

3. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I love the baitrunner spinning reels. I've had just about every brand except Okuma.... Shimano, Daiwa, Pinnacle, Silstar, Shakespeare, Ningbo, Mitchell. They all worked great. I like the fact that you can adjust the tension on the free spool feature to match conditions.

The clickers on any Abu 5000/6000 series reel basically suck, they're only good for calm water. Once you get into the Rockets and the 7000 reels and up, the clicker is MUCH better.

But, I still like the baitrunner reels better for any freespool fishing I do.

4. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    I have 3 shimano 4500b's and love them, woudnt trade them for anything!!!:cool2:

5. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ive got 4 of the Salt Striker Baitrunner reels made by Cabelas (almost sure they are the same reel as the Okumas) and I absolutely LOVE them. I personally like fishing with conventionals more, but the Baitrunners hold strong in second place. I am actually thinking of getting one of the new revision Shimano Baitrunners to put on a 8nBait surf rod.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Don't use em but I've seen them in action. Only feature I wasn't crazy about is the volume of the bait alarm.:cool2:

7. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Ive got a few Okuma Avenger BaitFeeders and they are nice. Come in handy in certain situations. I agree with George though, they could be louder.:confused2:

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have two Penn CLL6000. There as smooth as silk. I would recommend them.

9. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I got a Shimano 4500, I like it, it alerts me to a fish biting, and I can let it run until it gets the whole bait in its mouth. I can turn it off or leave it on depending on what I'm doin. I like it.

10. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i also wouldn't trade my shimano 4500's for anything, i have 2 of them, just great reels w/loud clickers, i also have a 6500 saltstriker and that works great and also has a loud clicker, i also have an okuma 55 abf, that is decent but wish the clicker was a little louder on that one, but all in all it nice to leave it in freespool and when ya hear the ZZZZZZZZ its priceless :wink:

11. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I can hear the clickers on the spinning reels better than the god awful ones on Abu 6000 reels. :smile2::wink:

12. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    i've been using the okuma ABF 50 series reels for about 4 years now and have had great luck with them. we do not have blues here but do have some dandy flatheads and it handles them just fine.

13. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    I like them as well though I dont have one right at the moment.I always preferred the Shimano Thunnus 16000,but then I was using it for sharks and saltwater fishing.All of the Shimano Baitrunners are high quality.The only issue I ever saw with them is they seem to leave a low hump thru the line on the spool when using braid....something I was told will make the line bind within itself.I only ever used mono,so didnt notice myself until I saw a guy on the beach one day lose a 5ft shark due to that problem.But,If Im not mistaken,the baitrunner 6500 holds 270 yds of 20lb mono,so that is good capacity,and the Thunnus holds even more.Great reels.On a 11ft surf rod you can get sone serious distance
    casting.

14. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    I love mine 2 Okuma Epixor Bait Feeders 65&80 and my Shimano 4500 Bait Runner and the Penn live Liner 560L

The clicker could be louder though...anyone know how to do that?

15. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    some of you know me and my love of baitrunner reels i now have 17 of them i have at least 1 of each of the first 4 generations of shimano baitrunners, a british baitrunner, and 1 each of the okumas a coranado,an epixor, and an avenger. i love every one of them and could not give a higher praise for any reel design... spinning reels with a freespool feature the greatest thing since pockets.

16. mofisherman

mofisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri (St. Louis Area)
    Just picked up a Cabela's Salt Stalker with baitrunner over the weekend (on a way to the river). Got to use it a little that day and love it already. Thank you everyone for all your imput.

17. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    Can't go wrong with a salt stiker.

Got a Penn Captiva LL, I like the reel a lot, the clicker is not loud at all though.

18. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    If there is no limit on funds.I would get the Quantum Cabo.Its getting high praises from Surf fisherman.Also the thunnus is agood choice.Its my favorite reel.I feel I can catch anything with it.The new Baitrunner 12000D is probably going to be my next reel when it comes out.I am really liking the power handle on it and the 25lb max drag.
    Other options you may consider is both the Daiwa and Okuma Sealine.I hope you find what your looking for.

19. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I too Enjoy usiing this feature on reels for all types of fishing and would not want to stop! I am partial to Shimano, but own and have used others. This is an innovation that has made the reel a much more User Friendly tool for stagnic and trolling uses. Great Tools and the many varieties make the choices that much HARDER!

HOPPY4