Spinning reels or baitcasters?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by catfishcatcher, Mar 7, 2009.

Spinning reels or baitcasters?

1. Spinning reels

2. Baitcasters

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Just wandering what the majority of cat guys and gals use as their choice of weapon so to speak in fishing reels? Not the brand so much as the type, spinning or baitcaster. I use baitcasters my self and love them!:006:

2. Catfish Levi

Catfish Levi Member

State:
    chillicothe, mo
    i like the spinning reels i did try a baitcaster last year and we didnt get along to well

3. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Actually if I really had to chose, it would be the Baitcaster, although I also like to fish with a spinning reel from time to time.:eek:oooh:

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use baitcasters, because that is what I learned on. After joining the BOC and reading what others have to say I think I will get a spinning reel and rod to try.

5. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I have both, but I don't catch the really big ones. I'm still practicing casting, but I don't think I'm catching anything over 15 lbs anyeay. Hoping to catch someting big someday. I catch even when I'm not trying to and get em on my panfish rigs. When I rig up the heavy caster on the heavy rod I catch small sheephead. Not so exciting.

6. whiskers67

whiskers67 New Member

State:
    california
    i choose spinning reels, and big ones because there aint nothing like the sound of that heavy drag singing to ya.

7. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    i had to choose spinning because thats all ive got.. if i had the bank roll to get some good baitcaster combos, id probably go with them..

any of you indy guys looking for abu 6600 combo... walmart in beech grove had some today on a 7 ft 1 pc MH on sale for $70.. not a bad price...

8. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    I bought 4 baitcasters this year and I love them. I didn't know what I missing out on. I have two more ordered. Now all I use my spinning reels for are bluegill and trout.:wink::cool2:

9. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Spinning reel's here i have both but my first chose is the spinning reel .

10. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Brother, I'm telling you, catfishcatcher landed a 40lb. flathead on the Abu-Garcia 6600 combo, with no problem at all, handled it like a champ.:dribble:

11. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I'm a spinning guy personally, but I did get an Abu this winter. Maybe my opinion will change.

12. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I use to favor spinning but now have been turned to baitcasters. At first I didnt care as much for them but now I like them. still use a spinner now and then

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    oh boy are you in for a nice surprise. the first time you need to crank one out of cover youll be impressed. better practice casting as soon as you can though, that takes a bit to get used to. spool it with some 30#+ line at first so the back lashes arent as hard to pick out.lol stick with it though youll be glad you did:wink:

as for the thread question, i use both. i fish for all kinds of fish though big and small. it depends on what the hot bite is at the time. sometimes, like very early season, ill use a spinner on channel cats. also soaking some "danny kings" while eater size cat hunting in summer.

14. DANNYfrmINDY

DANNYfrmINDY New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Indiana
    All i have for my cat setups are spinning, but i pefer baitcasters. i have two diawa magforce for bass fishing and love them. I plan on upgrading to a 6000 C3 soon though.:smile2:

15. Isaiah

Isaiah New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well I just got my first bait caster and will try it out in two weeks or so.
    Thanks Isaiah

16. Isaiah

Isaiah New Member

State:
    ohio
    I just got my first bait caster and will try it out as soon as it gets a little warmer

17. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I really enjoy my bait casters but have to go with spinning right now. Having to much fun with my bait runners right now. Guess in a few months I'll see which ones are truly being used the most.

18. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i use both different setup and situations calls for different reels just my .02

19. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I use a spinning reel just to catch my bait:wink: then Abu's all the way for the cats.:smile2:

20. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Baits by preferance-I do use and have a couple spinners but baits are my #1 chioce.