Spinning Reels for big catfish

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Kimbrough21, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Kimbrough21

Kimbrough21 New Member

I am new to fishing for fish over 20 pounds. I currently use a couple of surf combos but am getting ready to pick up a couple of ugly stik cat rods. When fishing for large fish I am more comfortable fishing with spinning reels. What are the pros/cons for fishing with spinning while cat fishing and if I land the big one will I be at a severe disadvantage fishing with spinning equipment? Thanks for the help and tight lines.

Joe

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Hi Joe, welcome to the BOC. There are a few good spinning reels out there that will get the job done. I have a Shimano 6500 Baitrunner that works well but not sure if it will outlast my baitcasters.

3. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Theres alot of good open face reels out there. I mostly use Tidewater, Okuima, Penn, and Basspro Offshore angler. You shouldn't have too much trouble useing open faces. Over the years I've caught alot of big cats on them. I prefer open face reels when using floatrigs. The main reason is you can cast them better.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome to the BOC Joe!, I use a spinning reel for catfishing sometimes, I have a Tidewater Freeliner spinning reel, I manly like using the spinning reel for throwing slip float rigs, just because they cast better. I use a baitcaster for bottom fishing.

5. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Hey Joe welcome! I use an eagle claw beast spinning reel it works well for me holds up to 40# test line.

6. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you live near a Gander Mountain or Bass Pro Shops you should definately take a look at some of the Penn's. If your going for big cats you need a quality spinning reel that will hold up to the challenge. They can usually hold quite a bit of line and take some serious cranking. In my opinion spinning reels can hold up to the challenge of baitcasters. Many people probably disagree to that, its just in my experience i havent had any trouble with their duriability and endurance. Make the choice for yourself and go with what your comfortable with.

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Get that Penn spinning reel soon if you are going to buy one. Don't know what will happen to Penn reel quality once fully under control of Shakespeare.

8. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I fish with spinning reels almost exclusively (only time i use baitcasters is fishing for flats in heavy cover) I have landed some very nice fish and a buddy landed a 60 pounder on a spinning outfit while i was with him no problem.

Check out the Okuma Coronado 90. EXCELLENT reel at a reasonable price (around 80 bucks) will hold up to the largest blues. I have three of them and they are excellent!!!

9. Gunner-Fisherman

Gunner-Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Baitfeeder, for the money they charge you can not beat this reel, not at all!

10. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Kimbrough21, I am also a Spinning reel user and will pick one up first by choice. Will they hold up? YES!!! When you have a baitcaster or a spinning reel on, it should not make a difference. The choice is ultimately yours and what you feel comfortable with. We have taken Wels Catfish to 140lb. on SPINNING Reels (Shimano U.S. Baitrunner 6500, Big Baitrunner L and Okuma Epixor EB-80). These fish have been caught with Spinning Reels and without any problem at all. If you choose to use a spinning reel, I ask that you get a GOOD One and you will be Happy that you DID! By the way, Welcome to the BOC!

HOPPY4

11. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I also am a spin fisherman. My reel that served me well for the past two seasons is the TICA Sportera. I am thinking about picking up a TICA Abyss for this upcoming season. Very well made and have caught many nice flats on it without any sort of problems.

12. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    Try the Okuma Coronada baitfeeder, the big one holds 330yds of 30lb mono

13. Krieger

Krieger New Member

State:
    IL
    Hey man welcome to the BOC! If you are going to try and catch a cat 20lb's or better I would prob try a baitcaster because in my opion they just feel better and can hold alot of line, and are more durable. I have a few baitcatser's and i love useing them period! But thats just my opion, but i hope it helps, good luck cathing the big one!:big_smile:

14. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I only use spinning reels myself,my chioce is vintage Abu Garcia spinning reels. I have a few that I've fished hard for over 20 years and they are still in great shape. Landing large fish with them is NO problem at all,the key is "Drag Set". I have a large collection "over 40" of vintage ABU spinnng reels,If that gives you any idea on how well I like them. Try to find you a few vintage ABU spinning reels with metal cases and you will see why I collect them.

15. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I would say Shimano Baitrunner just because of the baitrunner option, works great.

16. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

I've never checked them out due to 1 reason,they are new. A few years back I bought a few different name brands of reels and found out the newer ones just didn't hold up like the older reels did for me. So I haven't looked at many new reels latly. I've heard alot about the baitrunners maybe I should check them out. Who knows I may like them and if so that gives me a reason to buy another reel. :)

17. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I have 7 shimano baitrunners and I wouldn't use anything else. They have been great to me, landed some really big cats with them and they are just as good as the day I bought them.

18. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'll have to chime in on the Shimano Baitrunner option here.

I have 2 6500s and 3 4500s. They do really well for all of the fishing I have done.

I am "relearning" the baitcaster, mainly to see if i will be able to cast farther with it (though I am learning some techniques that help with the spinning reels) so I might change to those later on if I am still stuck with bank fishing. I'll still have the Baitrunners around for the "shorter" casts. Still love those reels.

19. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Shakespeare Alpha 2560 from walmart. Cost $19.99 holds 25lb mono. I reeled in a 40lb Flathead with it. Smooth reel, balanced rotor. cant beat it for the money. Spool it up with 25lb big game line and use a 50lb mono leader. your good to go. Get you a ugly stick rod from there for $29.99 and your good to go. If you want more expensive reels there's a lot better reels but for the money the alpha cant be beat.

20. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Salt Striker baitfeeder reels are heavy duty and nice looking, It'll set you back $100