Spinning Reels for Big Catfish?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by JustCats, May 5, 2006.

1. JustCats

JustCats Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I want to know what you guys and gals think about spinning reels for big cats. I'm talking about reels like the Shimano 3500 Baitrunner. I'm just starting fishing for big cats mostly from the bank and don't do baitcasters.

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Spinning reels will do just fine and the one you describe is a good one.I use PENN 7500s and they have yet to meet their match as far as big fish go.PENN also makes some baitrunner type reels also but like all good things the PENN reels cost a little more.:smile2:

3. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've always preferred the spinning reels myself.I have a Shimano 3500 for friends to use when they come up to the lake to visit, and it works just fine.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Sure, they will work. Lets face it, not everyone gets a world record on their line...most will fish their lifetime and not get a 50# fish on rod & reel. BUT, to call yourself a catman, you just have to learn how to use a baitcaster. I can guarantee you, you won't learn how to do it any younger. Get one and practice. lol

5. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I get 50+ pound cats on my shimano baitrunners on average of twice a year. So far but I havent fished this river for a year yet so it might be higher than that. I run the 4500B and the 6500B, the 4500 has 30# big game on it and the 6500 has 40lb big game on it. These reels wont find their match as far as catfish go. I just love it how all these people talk down on these reels and most have never even used them. I'm not a catman since my biggest so far is 56lbs on a baitrunner, I guess in order to be a catman I will just have to try and catch the same fish on a baitcaster. Its just funny to me when people talk about all the power these abu's sopposedly have but I can get a 42lb flathead up to the boat very fast, and you hear people with abu's saying the fight took 15-20 minutes to get it to the boat. I think before people talk bad about something they need to at least use it and then say what they think.

6. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've got a couple Abu's here and know how to use them but I still prefer the spinning reels.I've never brought in a 50# but I've caught them in the 30# range and never had any trouble getting them in,and I've brought some mighty big logs to the top with my reels.I'll stick to what I like and not something someone tells me I need to be a "catman"

7. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I use both spinning reels and baitcasting reels. I think I prefer baitcasters a little bit more, but they both do what they were designed to do.

People might be saying baitcasters are better because they are more difficult to use so the skill involved makes them feel like a better catman.

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    IMO,any type rod/reel you use is fine.Some are more heavy duty,cast farther or hold up longer,but I think use what is comfortable to you.The most important thing is getting out and FISHING!I've used all types and prefer baitcasters but that is me.As long as you have a line out in the water,I think you're doing good.Last time I was out fishing,I netted a 25.9 lb flathead for a guy that was using a Zebco 33 on a small rod and light line.That was fun to watch!!!

9. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    The 3500 is a great reel but go with the 45 and 6500 for big cats. They are the strongest spinning reel you can get and with the baitrunner feature you have the ability to let the fish run and with half a turn of the handle or just flip the lever to are back to the main fightin drag. The level wind reels are stronger overall and can moose even more in. But for fishing cats and casting ability the baitrunner is hard to beat.

10. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    YES!,Spinning reels will handle large cats. They also pick up line much faster and cast better/longer then baitcasers.

11. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Like Spinning Reels Also & I Recommend An Okuma Coronado Bait Runner This Is An Excellent Spinning Reel. But I Also Urge You To Get An Abu 6000 Baitcasting Reel Which I Also Did & Practice With That, You Will Love It & You Will Learn Quick, It Just Takes Practice, You Will Like Baitcasters Once You Learn How To Cast Them, I Know From Experience. I Hope This Helps You.

12. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    You got to be kidding? So fishing with a baitcaster makes you a catman? I'm not so sure I understand your way of thinking on this one.LOL I have over 40 vintage ABU spinning reels as well as other brands & not one baitcaster. I gave 3 baitcasters away due to the fact you just can't power a large fish to the top of the water with one no where near as fast as you can with a spinning reel.

13. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i prefer baitcasters myself, as for picking the line up faster that may be true but i want the fight to last as long as it can(without hurting the fish of course)but as far as casting goes i can cast way farther with my baitcaster then i ever could with a spinning reels but thats just my opinon.
    but all you need to be a catman is to enjoy the great sport of catfishing or that how i see it.

14. JustCats

JustCats Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for all the info. It seems there are as many opinions as there are models of reels. Personally I just have never liked the baitcasters and since I am over 50 I don't want to spend a lot of time trying to learn to use them. I might get one for my son (8yrs old) to learn to use, maybe he will become a true "catman".

15. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    i use old mitchell 306s and they work good for me. im thinkin about getting one of the new 306x s but im worried its made in china. i dont do chinese reels :smile2: :

16. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i caught a 42# on a shakespear tidewater baitrunner and it handled just fine. if your drags set right and your lines are tight good and you use strong hooks youd be just fine.
    i guy here at work fishes bass touneys and a couple weeks ago he caught a 55#+ on a quatum spinning reel with 12# test.
    its not the equipment, its how you use it.

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Far be it for me to leap to the defense of any member BUT I think AWSHUCKS might have had his tongue in cheek a little bit with the catman comment.After all there is a LOL at the end of the sentence.:big_smile: :lol: :smile2: .Besides if you call yourself a "catman" if you use baitcasters then what do the bass fishermen call themselves because they mostly use BCs.:lol:

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like the shimano 4500B And the Okuma 6500 exipor Eb baitfeeder.

19. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Spinning reels = no backlash! Trying a baitcaster for the first time this year its been a little tricky to use. My spinning reels are easier to cast and you can horse the fish in with them. I use silstar rxbs.

20. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Swampy, Yes, I was applying what I thought was a little tounge in cheek humor. Sure wasn't received that way. I offer an apology to those I may have offended. I also fish with spinning reels.