Spinning Reels anyone???

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by SkiMax, Jul 1, 2006.

1. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I was just wondering if I was the only one here that loves spinning reels. I have several abu baitcasters but they rarely see the water. I love my Okuma Coronado 90's. The live bait feature is terrific. I set it perfectly with the current and the littlest tug from a fish (which big flatheads seem to do) will take drag. That is something I have not found any baitcaster do. I also love the regular drag setting on the (and almost all other) spinning reels. I only use 25 lb test Big Game, so hogging big fish is not something i do and I find a spinning reel to be more forgiving in drag settings. I also love them for drift fishing.

the only application i like baitcasters for is fishing heavy cover for flatties as that is the only hoggin' of a cat i do. does anybody else agree with me or do you think i'm stupid? i'd love to hear!

2. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    happy 100th post congrads

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I like the baitcasters for catfishing,just my preference.I use spinning reels for catching bluegill,crappie and anything other than cats.I have a few friends that prefer spinning reels but to me I just like the power and feel of baitcasters.No I don't think you're crazy,as for me,I know I am...the voices in my head tell me so. :lol:

4. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    im with u skimax baitcasters are nice. but nothing beets a good spinning reel in river like the okumas.

5. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have never had really nice spinning reels, but the ones I have used do not compare to my Garcia reels, IMO.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I have an Okuma spinning reel, have caught alot of fish on it. Have not had a bit of trouble with it.

I want to switch to baitcasters though, just for the sound of the clicker!!

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I would have to say I am about 50/50 with spinning and baitcasters I like both and use either for any type of fishing it really depends on what mood I am in that day. This is with one exception and thats surf fishing not boat not pier only surf I only use spinning reels I seem to get a little more distance with them than I did with the Penn's.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've got a Daiwa 1600 spinning reel from the late '70's. Its still sees use, epecially when I am using a float for suspended channel cats. Also have a bigger brother to that same one, the same age. Bought it originally for salt water, but plan to use it this summer. Its on an eight and a half foot rod I buit in the '70's our of a 10 weight fly rod blank. The mutha will cast a country mile and will handle several ounces of lead too.

9. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    When Im driftfishing for Channel cat I use spinning reels realy like them. But like you say when I go after bigger fish(flats and blues) I use the heavy duty gear abu and penn baitcasting reels. I belive they both have a place in your arsonel. and no your not nuts! catch a bigon Bro. Bigcatman0816.:big_smile:

10. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you like spinning reels but want a baitclicker, you have a couple of options. One of them is the Shimano Baitrunner. I love mine. The baitclicker is basically a secondary drag setting. If you reel in after setting the baitclicker, it automatically switches back to normal drag setting and you are ready to set the hook and fight.
    If I was fishing near neavy snags or anything like that I might like the horsing power of a baitcaster, but I fish in very open water (below a dam) where a lot of line is out there and I really like the speed of the spinning reels.

11. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    i like spining reels alot beter than baitcasters.i own 3 shimono bait runners and love them.i especially like how u can ajust the tension on the clicker.

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    John.You are listening to the wrong voices.Just listen to the voices that agree with you and you will be completely sane.As for my Okuma Coronado CD90 reels? They seem to be one fine reel and worth every penny.I loved to fish with and try ALL types of rods and reels,including hand lining with hand reels.peewee-williams

13. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i use spinning reels all the time they seem to work with out any flaws i love mine

14. AllenM

AllenM Guest

from a boat, a baitcaster is find for catfish cause I can just drop my bait off the side at night, but actually "casting" one at night is tricky cause I can't see when it's about to hit the water and know when to thumb the line. That's why I preffer spinning reels. If I were more experienced with a baitcaster, or was hooking into bigger fish on a semi regular basis, then I might think otherwise, but spinning reels just feel better to me for thenight fishing that I do for cats.

15. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I use both equally I prefer baitcasters cuz of the clicker click click click anyway I have a abu garcia 6000 baitcaster and a abu garcia cardinal spinning reel.

16. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have both and until I am comfortable casting my penn or abu in the dark, I will stick to spinning reels at night, now day time I will use both of them I have reels with anything from 4 lb to 30 lb line on them and rods that go from 4'6" to 8'

Aaron

TA2D

17. dklark

dklark New Member

State:
    va.
    I have a Okuma Coronado rigged on a Zebco Big Cat spinning rod.The bait-feed
    is very smooth,although I don't use it much as I generally tight-line with Diiachi
    circle-chunk lite hooks.This rig is excellent for drifting cut-bait or live shad or bream with no weight.I am going to experiment on gar the next time I go ,let them make their long run with the bait-runner and after they stop,lock it down
    and leave in holder and see if the Diiachi will snag them.My buddy who prefers spinning rods was fishing with me and grabbed the the Okuma -Big Cat combo
    out of the holder and brought in a 37 lb. James River blue with no problem,the
    drag was very smooth and preformed beautifully.

18. dklark

dklark New Member

State:
    va.
    I also have a Quantum Brute
    spinning reel on a St.Croix graphite rod(very stiff,musky rod) this was my favorite rig for a long time but the reel needs repair.It won't lay line evenly on the spool,piles it all near the lip.I played around with putting the Okuma on this rod but it was too big/heavy for it,need to get a medium size reel like the Brute.
    This rod needs a bait feed reel as it is very stiff.

19. dklark

dklark New Member

State:
    va.
    One night I was fishing in my buds boat that had pvc pipe rod holders,was putting the cut-bait in the cooler
    when this rod(st.croix) went flying past my head at supersonic speed.The only reason I didn't loose it was the reel handle caught on the throttle cable on the back of the boat and the line snapped!!!!.We never did find the piece of pipe,I remember hearing it richochet
    off the side of the boat !!We still talk it every time we go fishing together.This
    incident was before I had any experience with big cats and it (and several more)
    taught me a few things---no piece of sh#t rod holder,if you tight-line,have your drag set firm,but loose enough--check line/retie often,don't sit there asleep with a tightlined rod in your hand,and use heavy enough tackle--you can play with that fish after after you get it in the boat.

20. dklark

dklark New Member

State:
    va.
    sorry about the multiple posts,for some reason it wouldn't go to the server in a single post...too long-winded I guess