Spinning reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by coble9, Aug 24, 2007.

1. coble9

coble9 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hi, I was wondering what your advise would be on a spinning reel. Looking for 30# test, maybe go down to 25# or 20#. I am looking to stay in the budget, so if it could be under $50 thats good. If you have any recomendations please tell me. Thanks, Pat

2. redneckchev

redneckchev New Member

State:
    georgia
    well bass pro shops has a good reel 39.99 it holds 290yds of 25# its called the catmaxx reel.i have looked at them and they to be pretty well made.cabelas has got one though that i am going to be ordering its the salt striker 80 series reel it holds 420yds of 20#.they are good reels i know a guy that swears by them.hope this helps.

3. redneckchev

redneckchev New Member

State:
    georgia
    by the way the cabelas salt striker is 49.99.

4. coble9

coble9 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have seen some okuma reels that would work too. Has anyone used one much. Also what about the diawa giant?

5. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    go to ebay homepage and type in mitchell 306x. the page that comes up will have some at a decent buy it now price. that reel looks good and casts and retreive like silk:big_smile: that baby is a fine reel i got 2 of em:smile2:

6. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i have an okuma epixor the eb-80 costs about 85 dollars. its a great reel the cabela saltstrikers are the same reels just made with the cabela name on them. so i'd go with one of them.

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    if you ever use a quality spinning reel you will throw rocks at the cheap ones. i have a shimano symetre and it has spoiled me. it is an 80 dollar reel. i just bought a stradic, and i will probably buy a Pflueger MEDALIST or an okuma Vsystem for my 11 foot rod.

i am going to put several cheaper rigs in a yard sale in a couple of weeks, one of which will be a cabelas salt striker that is new. whatever you buy, get a METAL frame. any type of plastic will flex. the aluminum frames are stiff, with little give.

with the reel of your choice on a rod or handle, grab the spool/bail assembly and push/pull from tip of rod to handle end.

the plastic frames will freak you when you see how much give they have. that is a major factor in the smoothness of good reels. sometimes it hurts to go first class, but most of the time it is worth it for a serious fisherman.

8. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Shimano Baitrunner 6500B or Cabo 60

9. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I have a couple of Okuma avengers that I picked up at wal-mart for $40 each and they are not bad. I also have a couple of large Mitchell reels from Wal-mart and they were around $50 each (I think they are the 306x). None of them compare to a set of Pflueger Contenders that I got from Bass Pro. They were about $89 each but there is no comparison when the drag starts to peel out from the reel. The Pfluegers are super smooth and hold a lot of #20 test.
    Just my 2 cents. Hold off and buy the better reels, you will never regret it.

10. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Tica Sportera SR4507 Great Smooth Baitfeeder reel with a strong drag that goes for about $85