Spinning reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by fisherman94580, Mar 13, 2007.

1. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    What are some good spinning reels for fish up to 50 lbs. to fish in rivers with?

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    The baitrunner series by Shimmano is a solid spinning reel if you are looking for a baitfeeder style.. THeir drags are water proof and rated for saltwater use.
    A~

3. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Shakespeare Alpha models are very good. Now, having said that, Ive never caught a fish over 12 pounds with that reel. But I know it is a good reel, cause I pulled a big chunk of a tree limb from a lake last summer with my alpha. That chunck of tree limb was at least fifty pounds, and I was able to get my hooks and weight back.

4. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have 2 Alpha 2569's and I really like them, I don't use them as much as bait casters but I alway take them for back up's.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Any good saltwater reel will work.

6. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I am very pleased with my Penn Captiva CV 8000. It has 11 ball bearings and is extremely smooth and will hold plenty of line. I got mine new off of eBay for $49. Shakespeare Alpha is the way to go if you don't want to spend as much money.

7. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    I also have a Penn Captiva CV 8000, I like it a lot! Very smoooth! With infinite anti reverse. Mine is new, so I really can't tell yet about their durability, but Hey, its a Penn. 49.95. Gear ratio 4.7-1. 275 yds.of 20lb. mono. I put it on a 9 ft. ugly stick. This set up casts very well. As vlparrish says "I can sit here and fish over there"

8. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    I have two Pinnacle ppd80 reels they hold alot of line, and they work great their the best reels I've ever had I got mine off of e-bay for around $35 with shipping costs.

9. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Tica Sportera 4507 or the Tica Abyss.

10. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    ive always used the old mitchells but i broke down and bought 2 of the mitchell 306x s and i am impressed .never felt a reel with that smooth of an action before. its got 5 ball bearings and a really good drag and really looks good on them ugly cats:big_smile:

11. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    and you can get them on ebay for cheap get the $18 buy it now ones

12. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Okuma Avenger series.

13. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    I haven't tried it out yet, but I just bought a Okuma Epixor EB65 Spinning Reel.

Line capacity: 450/12 340/15 260/20

Gear ratio:4.5:1

Bearings: 9+1

This is my second Okuma reel and I have been very impressed with this brand so far. 10 bearings make it silky smooth but the Bait Runner ability is why I bought it. I've got it mounted on an 8' Ugly Stik and will spool it up tonight with some Power Pro 30#. Can't wait to try this bad boy out!

I "think" most reels will catch the same amount of fish. It all really comes down to matching gear to the size fish you will be targeting, second critera for me is how much am I willing to pay and what am I getting for my money. Bells and whistles are nice, but I try to ask myself if I look back 5 years from now will I still think of a piece of fishing equipment as being a good investment. Personally I would rather pay a bit more for better quality now, then to have to buy the same item twice.

Tony
    _

14. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    cabelas salt striker with baitrunner

15. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    ive never tried it but the daiawa giant looks okay, and definetly big

16. snakeman455

snakeman455 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have a Daiwa OPUS 6000 reel, and it is great. It is strong and fairly inexpensive, I got mine for about $65. It is made for saltwater, so it is pretty tough.

17. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Im with Alton. I do a lot of hard fishing on the beaches in N.J. and I have bought a few okumas the past few years and like all there spinning reels. Im also a penn man when it comes to big spinning reels. As for okumas baitcatsers thats a different storry all together

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Anybody know anything about the Eagle Claw Beast? I'm attracted by the brand name and the huge size of the reel, but I've never heard any opinions on it.

19. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The old big Penn SS Spinning reels stood the test of time,but Penn decided that we no longer needed such a reel.Will the new Penn SSm reels stand up?We can only know the answer many years from now.A couple years ago I called Okuma and asked what was their best spinning reel for large fresh and large saltwater fish,including King fish,Bluefish,Jacks and such.They recommended the Okuma Coronado CD90.When you hook a 10 to 60+ lb.fish that can swim 30 to 50 MPH.,you better have the right gear or you will be "out of gear".Unfortunately,I am handicapped and have only hooked and caught Bow fin in the 4-6 lb.range on the CD90 reels provided for me.I have found that they work great for pan fish too,as I can handle the large reels better.Check them out.X-tra spools complete with drag are some of the cheapest that I have found.They are not only "sealed" but very heavy built.Luck.I love you Brothers and Sisters.

20. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

they ary awsome

my neighbor has 11 of them for tuna fishing.....

his PB was 103 lbs....

couldnt tell ya what model he has but its the biggest one they make :wink: