Spinning reel wobble

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by nhra22, Jan 31, 2006.

1. nhra22

nhra22 New Member

How do you get rid of it? The measly 30 years I have been on this planet, I have been using a baitcaster for 25 of those years. I finally bought a 9500SS and a 12ft Tidewater spinning rod. Mainly used for surf casting as the sharks are getting bad around our beaches. And the fact that it can cast a MILE is a plus too. But when I have the rod in my hip, and am retrieving, it's like I don't have control of the rod and moves from side to side and in general is a pain, and tiring. It's hard to explain but you spinning reel people should know what I am talking about.

2. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

It may sound funny, but make sure your reel is seated correctly on the rod. Sometimes that will cause it to "wobble" a little.

Ray

3. JReed

JReed New Member

State:
    Lima, Ohio
    Rainman sounds like he hit the nail on the head. Tap the rod on the ground a few times to help seat the reel in the seat. Then tighten the top nut. Sounds like the reel seat is to big for the reel. You will be able to tell if it is by looking to see if there is any space from the sides of the reel to the sides of the reel seat. They should be snugg with each other or you will get some play in the reel. If all else fails take some electrical tape and wrap the ends of the reel about 6 or 7 times and put it back in the reel seat and tighten up again. Don't forget to tap it on the ground a little to help tighten it up. The tape trick has worked for me in the past.

Hope it helps.

4. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    I have had this occour a couple of times on my surf rods.I believe that it is because the radius is diffrent on each part.I have corrected it by using a piece of bicycle tube for a backing on the reel seat of the rod.It will take up the differences and eliminate the wobble. Some of the new compound type reel body materials can be a problem too.They are much too flexiable to suit me.I will only use a metal bodied reel.

BILL

5. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    I've experienced the same thing with surf type rods using spinning as well as casting reels. Nosnag is right. I've used the inner tube pieces on several reels/rods and it is an instant solution!:)

Frank

6. nhra22

nhra22 New Member

will try..

This will cure the side to side movement? That is what I meant.. the reel feels like it's seated good... but when reeling in a fish or just retrieving my leader, the reel just moves to the left, to the right.. and regardless of how tight I hold it it still does it..

7. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Should work as long as the reel is metal.Composite reels tend to bend on their own when pressure is applied. Never could find a fix for them.You may have a SAE and metric problem between the two radiuses.This is the best fix for that.I hope it fixes your problem.

BILL