Spinning reel with clicker

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by cmhanks, Feb 22, 2007.

1. cmhanks

cmhanks New Member

State:
    louisiana
    do they make and what one to buy?

2. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I dont know if they do...but i`ve had spinning reels that had a loud drag.What i would do is just loosen the drag so that the fish would be able to take off without alot of tension.I then wait for about 5-10sec and tighten the drag really quick and set the hook.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    They make spinning reels with a baitrunner, its a clicker but not loud as a baitcaster clicker.

4. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    shimano makes the baitrunners i have 2 and love them.they make a few different sizes.i prefer abu 6500s for flathead fishin tho.

5. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Penn makes a Captiva spinning reel that is a bait runner and Okuma makes a model called the Epixor.

Both look to be good reels and would be great for catfish (IMHO).

However, I am not sure if they actually make a "click" noise. From my understanding of them (If not held one in my hands yet) the bait runner is just a secondary drag for free spooling. Would be GREAT if they clicked. Anybody know more about these reels?

Tony
    _

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I just turn my drag WAYYY down when Im catfishing. then when Im ready I pick up the rod drop the tip, tighten up and hook up.

7. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    The shimano baitrunners are damn good reels. You can go from a variable tensioned 'free-spool' to your preferred drag setting in a turn of the handle. This is massive advantage over screwing down drags as errors are inevitable. I use them for carp where I fish, but I've often hooked cats on them when fishing halibut pellets. I've had several wels over 100lbs in on them using 18lb big game line. They are working a lot harder than my abu 10,000 reels and you have to watch the bail-arms like all spinning reels, but they are still alive after 8 years of fishing in Spain. If you really want a free spool spinning reel then I would recommend them.. That said, I would always go multiplier for moggies... Just my opinion! :)

8. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    TICA also makes some very nice baitrunner spinning reels. I use the older style tica Sportera but the new tica abyss look sweet.

9. cmhanks

cmhanks New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Thanks for all the info. I use okuna for bass fishing, did not know they made anything like this. looking up specs on all of the suggested reels on the internet.

10. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    To you guys that loosen your drag, and have to pick the rod up and mess with it before setting the hook..Do you miss alot of bites like that?? Seems like that would be too much to do before setting the hook...Im not a huge clicker guy though...Just wondering

11. Snake Charmer

Snake Charmer New Member

State:
    Ca/Nv/Az
    By far the BEST!--IMHO :smile2: --..Okuma Baitfeeders!! Dual drag reels, Salt and Fresh water.

12. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I have six shimano baitrunners, 3 4500B and 3 6500B and I wouldn't use anything else. IMHO impossible to beat for the money, and they are the best quality.

13. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Okuma makes great baitfeeders. One thing that I noticed about them was the baitfeeder would disenages after 1/2 a crank compared to the Shimano Baitrunner reels that need a full revolution.

The Penn 704Z has a very loud drag for a non baitrunner type reel.

14. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    i had two shakespear bait runner type spinning reels.i sold them to buy garcia 6500 baitcasters.my advice-go with abu.

15. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    It is a little work with the spinning reel.But my baitcast w/clickers it takes no more than 2 secs.I never tight line any of my rods.I like to make sure that the fish has devoured my bait.Some cats are finicky.If they feel any pressure they will sometimes spit the bait out.

16. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Yeah i have used clickers in the past, i just dont use them anymore, alot of these flatheads i have caught, especially the bigger ones, would have never set the clicker on my 7000 off..Seems like they bite real soft and just put a steady bend right on the tip of your rod..I know alot of guys that use clickers sucessfully, i just missed to many fish on them..

17. Snake Charmer

Snake Charmer New Member

State:
    Ca/Nv/Az
    Droping the 2nd Drag lever is even faster, and engages the main drag at an instant!!..works Great!! :wink:

18. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I`ve had that happen to me a couple of times also.Sometimes the fish would just sit there and swallow the bait.My biggest one did that.He set the clicker off for 2 sec,then stopped.I had the rod in my hand for a couple of minutes before i decided to reel in thinking it was the current.Thats when i felt a slight tug and i just set the hook.

But heres my trick...i will reel in the slack just enough so that when the fish takes the bait,even though it will just sit there,the clicker will go off(like tight lining but with the clicker on).If it doesnt run,i pay close attention to my rod tip to see if it does that infamous pumping action Flatties like to do.

19. cmhanks

cmhanks New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Thanks for all the info. I am ordering an okuma and plan on one rig with a clicker and two without until I decide if I need one or not.

Thanks again for all the help.

20. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN

I use bait runners and I love them. I use to use regular spinning reels and when I set a hook I would have to grab the line, then quickly tighten the drag and I did miss some fish. But the the baitrunner it is a second drag. I can leave my regular drag set perfect and then look that one of. when the fish runs i simply flip that lever and be back to my regular drag. One reel I really love is the Okuma Coronado CD90. very great reel-very strong, and can handle 30 pound mono