Spinning reel with a bait clicker?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by ravenloft420, Apr 11, 2007.

1. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    does anyone know of anyone who makes a spinning reel with a bait clicker on it?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'm aware of penn and Okuma. They are called bait runners. Not as loud as a regular clicker but effective just the same.

3. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Ravenloft, I've wondered the same thing myself. I see on the Catfish Connection website an Okuma combo that has a reel with this feature and an E-glass rod. I would be interested to know if anyone has tried one of these. Looks like a good deal but I don't know anything about Okuma. Most of the reels I've had in my life were abu-garcia. Maybe someone else could tell us about this combo.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    shimano makes a baitrunner reel, and last i knew silstar did as well. Shimano makes two different sizes i think.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    shimano baitrunners....all have 3 ball-bearings, BTR3500B, ratio:4.7:1, line cap. 8/305, 12/230, 14/185. retail sug. price 99.99$.... BTR4500B, ratio:4.8:1, line cap. 14/295, 17/250, 20/195. retail sug. price 109.99$ i have this one. and lastly BTR6500B ratio:4.2:1 line cap. 20/270, 25/230,30/185. sug retail price 119.99$ i really like the one i have and would suggest it to anyone who likes to bank fish, especially flatheads.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i looked for the silstar series for you, came up empty for now. if i can remember right i have a buddy that had one a few years back. setup about the same as shimano, maybe alittle cheaper in price...goodluck

7. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I have two Okuma spinning reels with clickers. Not loud but work excellent. I have had no problems with either reel. Good quality for the price.

8. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Andrew,

This is a photo of the Reel that I use. It a "Shimano Baitrunner 6500" :big_smile:

It's is a very good Reel for the money & it has a nice clicker on it, and I know that alot of members here own one and can back me up when I say that it is a:
    "Good Spinning Reel" :wink:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

Attached Files:

9. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    the silstars you're talking about were the "RXB" series. there was a 50,60,and a 70 the first generation had a very loud clicker and reengaged when you turned the handle. not long after they came out shimano shut them down due to a patent violation.

Shania, i'll back that statement me and my sons own a total of 10 shimanos(1 btr450,1 btr 4500, 1 btr4500b,2 btr6500, 1 btr6500b, 2 tu16000f, 1 tu12000f, and 1 bbr lc) my name is mark and we're tackle junkies....

10. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    How does a bait clicker work on a spinning reel? I know you leave a casting reel in free spool and it clicks, but I aint sure how it would work on a spinning reel. Anybody got a video or something that demonstrates this?

11. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Also Cabelas has a branded reel Salt Striker that is an Okuma in disguise. Little less money for the same reel. IMO they are a quality reel and well worth the money.
    What's really nice is that the tension of the baitrunner/clicker can be adjusted from very light to fairly tight.
    The drag has been flawless for me as well.

12. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Before you purchase a baitrunner type spinning reel with a clicker check it out personally. I was having an awful burning sensation in my wallet pocket, but when I ask the salesman to demonstrate the reels he carried, I had to ask how about the clicker? He replied can’t you hear it. I have an oldtimers hearing loss (not that bad) and I couldn’t hear the thing until right up close. Like REAL CLOSE. Not as loud as a Penn or Abu huh these were not even close. Try it first. Luck

13. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    The simple fact is that the spinning reels manufactures have not made a product to be as LOUD as a baitcaster reel. The Shimano Baitrunner does CLICK when line is taken out, but your hearing must be good and no other noises are present. This is the same for other manufactures and without a market will not change anytime soon. The use of Bite Alarms is the European way to solve this problem. These alarms are sold at Cheep (Use for a year and not reliable) to Very Exspensive (Purchase a new car:big_smile: , but Sound/Look/Reliability is Great). This said, the availability is not as often found here in the USA. If enough fisherman and women request it, we may be able to effectively get some action from the manufactures. This is not going to happen overnight, but a start can be made. JMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

14. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have the Okuma Avenger combo. I love it. Excellent outfit.

15. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Okuma Coronado. If you're interested in buying one, please let me know. I have one that has only been fished with 3 times and I'm willing to sell due to me switching to casting reels, if interested please send me a P.M.

16. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I seen a demo at BPS of the Shimano Baitrunner 6500 and if I was a spinning reel guy I would have to have one of them. They have a clicker as loud as any of my ABU baitcasters have and I liked the way you could adjust the tension on them...if I keep talking about them I am just going to have to have one.LOL

17. Lenape4

Lenape4 New Member

State:
    OK
    Do you have the ABF50 or the ABF65? I have been looking at these on catfishconnection.com. Is the baitclicker very loud?

18. bigcatman

bigcatman New Member

State:
    Ashville, Ohio
    i have a cabelas salt striker on one of my poles and the clicker on it is ok on how loud it

19. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I would say that the Clicker for the Baitcaster is MUCH Louder than the Spinning reels of any manufacture that I have owned. I have just made a small test to check the Penn 320 GTI against the Okuma Avenger ABF-65. To this, one fact is immediate and without question. The Penn is MUCH LOUDER! The test although inside of the house was much less than normal by any means. If you are fishing, you will have many other noise factors to contend with. My wife who is not a fisherman, was asked to determine the difference. She immediately stated that she could hear both. She then specifficly stated that the Baitcaster was louder without question. The current marketed Spinning reels do not have as Loud a Line Feed Out (CLICKER) indication as a Baitcaster. I have written in another post that until the manufacture has justifiable reason to make such a reel, it will not happen! JMHO!!!

HOPPY4

20. Ohio Trophy Hunter

Ohio Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    the okuma's clicker (i have an epixor eb65) isn't nearly as loud as my abu's, but it is definately one of our favorite reels. just ask my girlfriend who "adopted" it as soon as i took it out of the box! they have an AWESOME drag system, one of the best i have ever seen on a spinning reel. incredibly smooth action, and cast a mile when spooled with power pro 50#.
    i am planning on gettin a few more in smaller sizes for kickin back on the banks of alum creek channel cat fishing since i can't even get the occasional cast in on "her" reel.
    the bait runner may not be very loud, but it does keep the line nice and straight for an excellent hookup ratio!
    you wouldn't be disappointed with one!
    for seth, there is a lever across the back of the reel body, to engage the bait runner, just flip the lever forward. to return to normal drag, just flip the lever back, or turn the reel handle. very easy with almost no resistance, just like closing the bail.
    Eric B