Spinning Reel Specs

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Zebco 33, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What am I looking for in a spinning reel for cats?

I'm needing something that can handle up to 20 pound test mono, and is a good caster. I'm a bank fisherman and I think I've got the rod picked out, a Penn Guide Series 11footer, and I'm looking for a reel.

I would like to keep the price below $50, but willing to go to $75.

Jerry

2. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    take a look at a nice surf reel. they can hold alot of line and will handle just about any fish you can get on them. if you can pick up a nice okuma for a good price, they will last forever and are exceptionally smooth. take a lok on ebay and see what you can find. they also make them with a line out alarm, which acts as a bait clicker. see the switch at the bottom of the reel? this is the line out alarm. once a fish starts pulling it out, just flip it down and the reel will engage. works really nice. hope this helps.

Attached Files:

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
  4. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    yeah the okuma's i was looking at are around the $95 range, but from what i hear, they are awesome reels. they are built for surf fishing, so i am sure they can handle anything that the kitties can bring.

5. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    but like i said before, go on ebay and look for one. they have alot of good stuff on there for good prices. you just have to know how to bid. :wink:

6. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
  7. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ok, after looking at the suggestions, I understand that I might have to go up a little on the price! Not a biggy, we all like PB&Js!

Anyways, I finially fond out what a "baitrunner" is. But I would like to know the pros and cons of rear vs front drag on the spinning reel.

BTW, I like a good solid reel. My favorite spinning outfit has a Abu Garcia 303R spooled with eight pound test. I've got a Ugly Light rod for it. Its my trout/crappie rig, but mostly my goto setup cause I can throw it good.

Jerry

8. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

I use to be strictly high end quantum but have switched in the past 2 years to shimano, i would suggest the highest end model you can afford in a 4000 series stradic series is the nicest spinning reel ive owned​

And as far as front or rear drag, FRONT only, yeah they tangle a little more but the front drag is way more efficent than rear the clutch system in a front drag is ten times the size as the rear so the result is way smoother drag and stronger. and a front drag is weighted better as far as balance.

9. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Jerry, rear drag is very convenient to adjust while reeling one in...it is also weaker, as the discs are much smaller than the front drag adjustment.

buy the front drag and remember to set your drag properly before you start fishing:big_smile:

10. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ok, its a front drag Shimano or Penn!

I have to take the wife to a DRs visit in St Louis on Tuesday, so I can gt some hands on the reels at Bass Pro and see what I like.

Jerry

11. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    For about $65.00 the Sedona will do a good job or the Pflueger President the larger size one isn't bad. The Pflueger is a bit smoother but the Shimano looks to be more durable. The reason I say this seems like the Shimano has a bit higher grade of materials. I pulled in a nice flattie with the Pflueger no problem with it. Go with the front drag models(they are stronger).The rear models while weaker still have enough stopping power for most cats and other fish under 20lbs.(guesstimating here). I have caught plenty of fish using my old shimano fx rear drag model. My friend to this day still uses his we bought them around the same time some 8 or 9 years ago.

12. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hazzelhurst a sub of LIOUS has a Cabelas and I went there a couple weeks ago and I HIGHLY recommend you do the same the service and knowledge was great......I have only used the reel I bought 1 time but I think I did good.LOOK AT MY NEW TOY here some where....CABELAS will save you money in my minds eye

13. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    By the way the fellas on here did it to me to but you can learn alot from a bunch of dummies:roll_eyes: I mean that with the bottom of my heart ..........BOC members are down....................................................:wink:

14. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Angel, thanks for the input. I went and looked at a Seodna, and I really liked it. I'm looking for one that is a little bigger than the one I fould at Wally World. Hopefully Dunn's will have a bigger one. They had an Abu Garcia there also. I like Garcias, but I would have to lean towards the Shimano for the reasons you stated.

Kenny, thanks for the heads up on Cabela's. I didn't know they had a store nearby. I like them better than Bass Pro any day.

Jerry

15. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I think Wally World only has up to size 4000. They come up to size 8000 sorry I meant to put that in there. The Shimano Sedona 8000 the smaller size are for bass, channels and such. I have several 4000 Shimano and they have always worked great for channels and carp. My only real complaint on the Pflueger is the body seems more fragile than the Shimano. If not for this it would be a pretty darn good reel.(for the price) I have been looking at that Abu 800 just haven't heard enough about it to see if I want it.

16. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I got to go to DICK's and see and handle some meduim sized reels. By that, I mean reels that can handle 10-14# test line. The Shimano Sedona 4000 is a really nice reel. I owuld almost hate to put it on a Ugly Cat Stick! I also liked the Abu Garcia Cardinal 104. Either would almost make me take the 6000 back!

Jerry

17. catfishsafari

catfishsafari New Member

State:
    missouri
    For about $75 bucks I can get you a Okuma Epixor ef-65 or 80. with bait feeder, 9 ss ball bearings , anti-reverse roller bearing. They are glass smooth and hold up well.

18. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Steve. I've seen some of teh smaller Okumas and they seem very well made. The model you are talking about would have all the options I want.

Jerry