Spinning reel size

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by bigken, Apr 8, 2006.

1. bigken

bigken New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm looking for a spinning reel to add with my spincasters and baitcasters. I hear about size 30, 50, and 70 reels? Can someone give me more specifics and an example of each. Not asking what brand of reel to buy just want general info.

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Most already know most or all of this,but they may be someone reading this that is just starting out.Abu Garcia,Eagle Claw,Mitchell,Diawa,Okuma,Shimano,Penn,Pflueger,Shakespeare,Zebco,etc.all have websites.These websites have information on all of their different reels and sizes.They all have various ways of rating their reel sizes.This leads to some difficulty in comparing the different brands and sizes.Various vender's such as our sponsor Catfish Connection have advertisements that give the different sizes and capacities.As a GENERAL RULE,the smaller reels are rated for the weaker and smaller diameter lines,lighter rods and smaller fish.The larger reels are rated for the stronger and larger diameter lines,stronger rods and larger fish.This seems to be the general rule,for all types and kind of reels.Even the hand reels that I have are different sizes,though modern and made of plastic.NOW! Many people are now fishing with with lines that are way stronger,weaker,larger and smaller in diameter than their reels were designed for.There are so many different fish and ways to fish for them.I have never found a industry standard for sizing hooks,spinning,or casting reels.I wish that they would.Best of luck,peewee-williams