Spinning reel or Baitcasting reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catfishing is fun, Jan 7, 2007.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    which is better for surf fishing, i have one of each, and i gonna buy one surf rod, so i need to know which i should use for the surf??

thanks for the help
    Marshall

2. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    probley spinning...just because of the length of the rod i personllay think that a baitcaster would be difficult to handle

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Either works well. You can usually get more distance out of a casting reel, especially if you can learn to handle one without the levelwind. A decent spinning reel for surf fishing will cost less. The deciding factor my be how much surf fishing will you do? If not much, go with the spinner.

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Most of the folks that I see in the surf fishing with bait here in CA are using spinning gear...

bayrunner ray

5. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    You can use either one. I personally use both but prefer my baitcasting reels for the surf over the spinning simply because you can cast so much further.

Wheelmobile07

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think either reel will work.

7. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Would Go With The One You Like Using Best. Because Either Will Work Good.

8. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Marshall;
    I've tried both and am a Spinning Reel "Nut". As others have said, either one will work, but Fin-Nor came out this year with a new larger Spinning Reel that will hold 600 yards of 100 pound braid or 375 yards of mono line. I was lucky and knew a couple of people that were able to put one in my hands before they hit the commercial market this month.
    I have to say that am Very Impressed with the workmanship even over the Penn 950SSm! I have a Penn 9500SS that I would not trade for the new ones, but when I bought a new one it was the new Fin-Nor 2007 Model OS9500.
    I also have a 15' Shakespeare Surf Rod that I use when I am fishing off the bank on the Mississippi River. I won't claim to be able to throw all the way across the river in spots yet because I still have some work to do on my technique with this rod but I can launch one out there pretty far!!!:smile2: Another Spinning Reel that I might recommend if money is no object is one of those Shimano Stella 20000 but they will cost you seven Benjamin Franklin's!!! The Fin-Nor is about $170 or so and the Penn 950SSm will be around $150 or so. Of the two, I much prefer the Fin-Nor over the Penn.
    As far as what Bait Caster to get, ... I can't help you there but I can refer you to a couple of Brothers; Whistler is my first choice, Dreadnaught and Deerhunter would also be good choices to contact too.
    Other than that, if you would reword your question a bit I am confident that there are many Brothers and Sisters that would be GLAD to help you out in the Bait Casting category!:smile2:
    Here is hoping this helps a bit. If I can help further, please feel free to contact me.
    Altruistically, the bottom line is What YOU Like and What Works Best For YOU:wink: :smile2:
    Fraternally
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]