Spinning reel bait alarm

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by wayne1967, Aug 10, 2009.

1. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Does anyone make a spinning reel with a type of feed out clicker?

2. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    shimano, okuma, cabela's has the "saltstriker" which is a baitfeeder, diawa and penn also make baitrunners, these are just a few i'm sure there are plenty more. i own 2 of the shimano 4500 baitrunners and love them, i also have the cabela's saltstriker and thats also a nice real for a good price, the okumas are also under 70 bucks

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009

3. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Mitchell still make the Full Runner 600 Electronic.
    Fairly loud alarm, but have to sit to the side due to no lights on the rear of it.

Also have the Zebco Bite Alert. Have not used them, but have played with them at the stores, and I'd be leery of using it for bluegills.

Those are the only spinning reels that I know of that has built in bite alarms.

Best thing to do, would be to get a baitfeeder type reel and purchase a bite alarm and bank stick.

4. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I guess I'll look around at the displays the next time I am at Cabelas or Bass Pro. Can't get it in my head how they would work unless there's a freespoon switch that you can flip while the bail is down.

5. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    How they work is they incorporate both a front and rear drag in the reel. The rear drag is loose, and is your bait alarm. Normally, it's locked down so it doesn't slip at all. The front drag is tighter and is what you use to fight the fish. You cast out and flip the bail normally, then when you flip the lever, it releases the rear drag. When you have a strike, you flip the lever back (most will do this when you turn the handle) which locks the rear drag back down so you can reel the fish in.

6. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    So the clicker/drag can be adjusted for tention?

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have two Penn 6600 with the bait feeder system. There good quality reels.

8. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Yes, on some of them it can, maybe all of them I don't know. I know on the Shimano, Okuma, and Penn it can.

9. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ok, thanks. I was wondering if these type would handle alot of current without pulling out when set. I've owned some baitcasters that have the slide up and down switch like the ambassator for the clicker and they tend to feed out if the current is strong.

10. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
  11. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    well i can tell you that shimano and okuma have freespools that are adjustable and can be set for up to 2lbs of drag. now i don't know where you're fishing but i can set a bait 100yds out in 30feet of water with a 1.5knot current and the freespool will hold in that.

12. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's what I was wanting to know. Thanks. I fish the Mississippi and with heavy line in the current it will do some tugging.:big_smile:

13. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I have had a heavy duty quantum spinning reel for over 20years that has a bait runner feature and it can be adjusted for current conditions as I use it for fishing the river here when pursuing flats. i love it and haven't had any problems with it at all. Have pulled in a 42 pounder with it which is my personal best.

:cool2:

14. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Baitrunner 6500 is a very popular surf reel in these parts and the 2lb drag on the baitrunner drag holds well in heavy surf currents.It actually can be heard when a fish takes off as long as youre sittin fairly close to it.
    It sorta lets out a little "zing" noise.

15. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sent off for a Okuma EB50. Hope it will work out for me.

16. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Got the reel day before yesterday. Spent the morning yesterday on the river. Really like it. The baitrunner on it is stronger than I though it would be. Holds well in strong current. I had a Penn Captiva that I had a couple of weeks before I returned it. The Okuma is nicer than it was in my judgement.

17. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county