Spinning or casting reels?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by reelking92, Jun 14, 2007.

1. reelking92

reelking92 New Member

State:
    MI
    I just wanted to know what you guys opinions are as far as reel choices go. Seems like the majority of people use casting reels for big cats instead of spinning reels. Which brands do you like better Abu, penn, shakespeare, and which do you sugest i buy? Also how well do baitrunner style spinning reels work? used them for carp before but never thought to use them for cats.

2. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    If you want a good quality casting reel, go with an Abu. If price is an issue I would recamend an Okuma. Stay away from Shakespeare, they do alright but don't hold up with time. An Abu and most Okumas will last forever if you keep them well maintained.
    Chip

3. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    It's a matter of preference, really -- I myself don't catfish with casting reels. Not to say I won't, I've got my eye on a few Penn 210s. But if you're really looking for quality, go with an old Penn reel. I've got an old Penn 850SS that I've rebuilt and am pleased as punch with, and it's got 300 yd of 65lb PowerPro and it sits on a 12' surf rod. Definitely some good leverage and winching ability there that I'd put head to head any day with a casting reel.

4. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    it all comes down to personal preferance. i have and use both casting and spinning (still a newbie on the baitcaster, but i can cast 3out of 4 with out a nest).
    i use the caster for short casts or drifting and the spin for when i just have to launch some lead wayyyyyyyy out there. whatever your comfortable with, will always be the better reel.

5. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I use penn reels on my 12-14' rods and Abu. on my small rods

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Both reels have their place. I have used both and choose the baitcaster over the spinning reel. The reason being. When I get time to go fishing I want to fish not work on my equipment.To each his own.:lol::big_smile:

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I only use spinning reels and only used casting reels on deep sea fishing trips. I probably cant count on my hands how many times I have used one. If you are targeting channels a spinning reel will do fine. To haul in some of these hogs a casting reel is probably a good choice. Although you can catch the big ones on a spinning reel it probably will make you life easier with a casting reel.

8. TScottW99

TScottW99 New Member

State:
    NRV, VA
    I use spinning reels. Plan on buying a baitcaster later this summer and start practicing.

Just bought a Shakespeare Tidewater Freeliner and have only used it once. I really like it so far, still need to catch a flathead on it. :big_smile:

9. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    I like baitcasters. I use Abu 6500's & 7000's. It seems to me like they cast the best. They have been very durable.

10. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I like Penn & Abu, but it really a matter of preference.

11. mrdodgeram

mrdodgeram New Member

State:
    WV
    I've used both spinning and casting with good success. I use the same ones I use for bass, my brands are varied, Shimano, Daiwa. My baitcasters I use 14lb test, spinning usually 10. If fishing smaller rivers spinning is great but casting will suffice. It all works good.
    Good luck.
    Rick