Spinning or Baitcasting for Channel Cats & Carp?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by charlesthecarpmaster, Jan 29, 2010.

1. charlesthecarpmaster

charlesthecarpmaster New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I am looking for a good, solid dependable reel that I could use for Channel Catfish & Carp, normally in the 5 LB to 10 LB range. The reel has to be under $100 and I've decided as far as a rod goes, under $50 would be best. I will use 12 LB to 15 LB mono and toss dough-bait, nightcrawlers, and maybe even chicken liver. Using mainly egg sinkers, 1/4oz to 3/4oz in weight depending on the current...

Looking for something to hold for a long time if possible. Abu Garcia C3 5500/Shakespeare Ugly Stik 7' MH rod has caught my eye... I don't use Baitcasters but would love to try it. I use mostly spinning reels but a Baitcaster would be nice.

So, in your opinion, what is a good rod/reel combo for using 12 LB - 15 LB mono, 1/4oz - 3/4oz weights, dough bait nightcrawlers or chicken liver for bait, catching 5 LB to 10 LB cats/carp? Spinning or Baitcasting?

Thanks for any help!

2. festus

festus New Member

If you're targeting cats and carp up to 10 pounds with 12 to 15 pound test line, an Abu in the 5000 series would do well as a baitcaster. These will hold 205 yards of 12 pound test mono. The AG5600C4 has a bait clicker and only weighs 9.9 oz. They should run about $80 or $90. It would match perfectly with a Berkley Lightning Rod, especially the trigger handled 7' medium heavy model. The manufacturer's number on the rod is LRC701MH. It's listed for 10-25 pound test line and 1/4 to 1-1/4 lures. It's pretty light. I'm thinking about buying one of these rods for an Abu 5000C I have. And the rod only runs about $45. I love the Ugly Sticks, got half a dozen in various sizes, but they are a little heavier than the Berkley.

For a spinning outfit in the same price range, an Okuma Epixor EB Bait Feeder would work well. It's about $70, weighs 17.4 ounces, holds 250 yds of 15 pound test. Okumas usually come with a spare spool, which makes them very versatile. Again, you can't go wrong with a Berkley Lightning Rod or Ugly Stick.

3. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    If you want a reliable Rod/Reel Spinning Combo for cats and carp up to 10-30LBs and not break the bank what could be better than a Zebco Hawgseeker Spinning combo (not the push-button spincast) from Wal-mart for $40. It has worked for me for the past 3 years, even has a waterproof bait alarm. Comes spooled with good 25LB mono but after a few years it starts to gain memory. I replaced my 25LB Mono this past summer with 50LB Braid and now it has double the amount of line, casts twice as far and can handle pretty much any fish I wanna throw at it.

4. festus

festus New Member

Ramon has given you some good advice. I bought one of those same Hawg Seekers he's talking about at Walmart. Mine had been marked down to $30 and was regularly a little over $40. I respooled it with Cajun Red 20 lb test, but it will easily take 30 lb test mono or 100 lb. braid.

The only complaint I have it is a little heavy, but I don't plan on using it to throw artificials, so it's fine.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

If you,re gonna go spinning,I,d recommend the Cabelas Saltstriker spinning reels in the baitfeeder models,my wife uses them and they wear like iron.You could pair it up with one of their whuppin stik rods,i,ve had good luck with them and they guarantee them for 10 years.You,d be well under $100 for the combo and i,ve never worn one out yet!

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have a few Wal-Mart specials ,Tiger combo's in 7' pretty descent spinning combos,I use them for both channels and carp,theyre about 20.00

As for Baitcasters,I use Berkly big game 7.5 ' rods coupled with Shakespere SKP 2000 S reels. togather these cost close to 60.00 True they arent top of the line,But for fish under 10 lbs and a tight budget,They will work fine.

7. festus

festus New Member

Yeah Pat, the combo runs from about $70 to $80, according to which size you prefer.

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    If it's just small cats and carp you are chasing, I would go with a spinning combo like a 7 to 7.5 foot rod with a Shimano or PENN baitrunner reels.

But don't overlook the ABU C3 combo. You could always use your baitclicker just like a baitrunner and let the carps run.

9. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Well I just put an Okuma Avenger on a Whuppin stick, for around $75 together. I have been using Okuma spinning reels for a little over a year & I have been impressed with the way the feel & hold up to hard fighting Steelhead. I've landed a few fish in the 15-20 pound range with the Okuma reels & had no problem, the only extra expense I had in setting this up was the Braided line an extra $50 or so for 2 reels. The Avenger & Expior reels have a baitrunner option, check out thier site at http://www.okumafishing.com

10. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Brian it looks like they don't make the red isis (baitcaster) anymore, if I'm not mistaken catfish cammando (boc founder) has two of those reels. Those are some nice looking reels. Which reels do you have, I was thinking of getting my wife the smaller avenager for channels.

11. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    So far every recommendation from Festus to Mike are all excellent choices. You have your hands full lol. I forgot about Okuma. I do have a nice Okuma helix 45 spinning reel on a 8'Berkley Big Game Rod that I have caught quiet a few 10-15LB Blue and Channels on, even got a 13LB Carp on it in texas, they are nice $30 for the reel from a local baitshop and $25 for the rod from wal-mart. I also have a nice white Ugly stick tiger with the glow tip with a Bass Pro Baitcast 2000 and it is nice for 10-15LB Cats also, $25 for reel off this site and $32 for the rod from Wal-mart.

12. charlesthecarpmaster

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for all of the replies, guys, I really appreciate them. But I was looking for a reel that was, you know closer to $100. I already have a Shakespeare Tiger 7' Spinning combo but I was wanting something very good. Like the Abu Garcia C4 5600/Berkley Lightning Rod mention in the first post. Thanks for all of the Shakespeare Tiger, Zebco Hawgseeker posts, but I would like something that is a little "up" in the price range.

13. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    It depends on what weight and size reel you like.You can't go wrong with any of these reels according to a saltwater friend(ask him the same question for you).Will you be making long cast from the bank?If you will be casting a lot like me or will be sloppy drunk while fishing.Or if you fish on REALLY windy days.I would suggest a spinning reel so you have less chance of backlashing on you.Does your reel need to be able to handle some sand and dirt from bank fishing?Or are you mostly fishing from a boat?What line capacity are you going for?

Here is a few choices

Spinning
    Okuma Coronado EB80 $79 at bass pro
    Okuma Salina $99 on ebay
    Penn Slammer 760L $89 on ebay
    Cabelas Salt Striker $69
    Daiwa Black Gold $99
    Fin-Nor Sportfisher $99
    Shimano Speros $99

BaitCaster
    Shimano TLD $99 on ebay
    Daiwa Sealine X $99
    Penn GT $89

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  14. charlesthecarpmaster

State:
    Kentucky
    I like something that holds anywhere from 160-yards to 240-yards of 12 LB mono tops. Long casts aren't needed, I'm just making 20 - 40 yard casts at the MOST. Something that will hold up to dirt and stuff would be great but I'll try not to dip it in mud. I'm fishing from the bank. I don't want anything that holds OVER 240-yards of 12 LB at all. I'd rather have something that holds 180 - 220 yards of 12 LB.

15. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i would love to add some thing constructive to this thread, but with all the advice you have gotten you can decipher what you need out of it... the guys on here generally will give you the best advice you can find anywhere...

i will say if you are wanting to spend the money, and you only want to get 1 reel/rod combo. then i would buy the nicest, biggest ABU garcia in your price range then couple it with an 8-9 foot rod M/H rod. I prefer the River Cat series. they have enough umph to set the hook and enough bend for circles.

reason i say that is if you want to catch bigger fish, you can have the equipment to do it, the 8-9 foot rod you can handle on a boat, yet get the casting distance from the bank. if you are only ever going to fish for the small fish (eaters) then i would take someones advice like 223's and get 2 or 3 of the economy versions that can handle the small fish with no trouble. more rods you have the better chance you have to catch some.

16. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    BTW, what ever you decide on in a bait caster, i would not own one with out a clicker. it makes the reel much more versitile adn you can leave it tight lined with the button pushed and not have to worry about the fish jerking the rod in.

17. ramon06

State:
    Alabama

So waste $100 on a 10LB fish catching reel?????? Reels in that price range are meant to reel in Monster fish. I dont see any manufacturer making a reel with a $100 price tag with the intended purpose to catch a 10LB fish. I dont mean to offend you and I'm not trying to be an asshole in any way. I'm just saying almost every reel on the market in that price range is huge and meant for bigger fish unless you're looking at the 6500C3/6600C4 series or similar or a bass reel. And those 6500s are like $79 now brand new from walmart, ebay, online stores. The other manufacturers in that price range again are 7000 sized and up. I mean you could always get a 7000i, 7000IC3, Penn 320, Daiwa Millionaire, Shimano, etc. and catch the 10LB Carp and cats and just know that If something bigger bites you can handle it. But I just dont see a 5600 costing $100, those go for $40-$50 bucks now. Then you can throw a nice TWC Rod with it for $60 and you have the perfect Carp and Cat combo for $100. Even a BCX reel with a TWC Rod would be nice for your intended purpose or even a Ming Yang reel/TWC Rod

18. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    If you're looking for a high end spinning reel, you can't go wrong with a shimano baitrunner.....probably the 4500 for what you're looking to do with it. I have a 6500 which holds big line, and it's a sweet reel.With the baitrunner feature the fish can take the line without feeling any resistance, and the baitrunner has it's own drag for fishing in current. It's very populaur among carp fishermen too if I'm not mistaken......

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  19. charlesthecarpmaster

State:
    Kentucky
    Listen here, I don't go out "targeting" 5LB - 10LB carp but that's what I normally catch. I am wanting a rod/reel combo that is high quality HOWEVER, is sized enough to give a good fight with the 5LB - 10LB carp that I catch. ALL high quality reels are not made for HUGE FISH. Ultralight reels can soar up to $150 and those sure aren't made for cats. 5600 C4's don't retail for $50 they sale for $90 and yes the BCX sales for $50.

And why the hell do I want an Abu Garcia 7000 size reel if I'm catching 5LB - 10LB fish. I could reel them in like nothing! That is dumb. Why, maybe the largest fish may give a mediocre fight on reels/rods that size but my normal fish aren't. Everyone doesn't target 100 LB flatheads nor does ONLY big fish reels cost that much money. I'm sure a 5500 size reel isn't made for 100 LB fish, but more so for channel cats, carp, smaller salmon, etc.

20. charlesthecarpmaster

State:
    Kentucky
    I'd love to have a Shimano Baitrunner but it's just a little too pricey for me at this moment.