Spinning or baitcaster reels for catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by douglas_413, May 14, 2006.

1. douglas_413

douglas_413 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    What do you guys prefer for a reel. Can you also tell me why you like one or the other?

2. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bait caster for me. Ive never been a fan of spinning reels. One downfall though is the occasional backlash from baitcasters.

I feel like I have more control with a baitcaster.

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    douglas

Opinion & from what I've seen fishing the Flatheads for 3 years and heard here:

To me the question is to tight-line or to free-line. I now River fish 95% of my time for Flatheads with cut bait. 80% of my the Flatheads I now get is on what I call the "Lite-Bite" or when they are in the pecking mode if you will. When they are in this mode they WILL NOT RUN WITH IT!! Yes approx. 20% of the time they will slam the bait. With a tight-line I can see what is going on and with a slack line I would miss seeing what is happening alot.

If tighting you must have sturdy rod holders when bank fishing and I believe alot here will not take the time to make or buy them so they are stuck with free-lining. If a Cat wants to run with the bait while tight-lining 90% of the time I got them even without touching the rods.

Spin or baitcasting don't matter!!!!!!!!!!

Please Read the below from start to finish for I know it to be TRUE!!!!!
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6262

4. scuffy

scuffy New Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I really like my new PENN GTO 220 BAITCASTER,
    GREAT for drift fishing. I've got an old GARCIA salt
    water spinning reel on a 10' surf rod I like for bank fishing.
    I can cast it a mile to get in the channel.

Steve

5. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use both but I prefer bait casters, although I have never had a spinning reel backlash.

6. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I prefer spinning. To me they are much easer to use,fewer back lashes,easer to repair, easy to adjust the drag on the fly.

Several people have try-ed to teach me how use a bait caster and have given up.

7. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I prefer baitcaster reels but I use spinning reels to. I just like the baitcaster reels better, they are not as bulky as spinning reels.
    I use a spinning reel on my big catfishing rods when I'm going for the flatheads and use my baitcaster reels when I'm fishing for the channels and blues.

8. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    i prefer both i have 6 baitcasters on surf rods and 4 spinning on surf rods. depending on what mood im in. and where im going dictates which rods i will use that night. cant go wrong with either one

9. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I am not a fan of spinning reels. IMHO Baitcasting reels and we are talking the good one here like Penn ABU Shamino as such have a far better and much smoother drag and hold more line.

10. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Bait Cast.... They give less fight.

11. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i use a abu garcia 1 is a ambasseder(sp) 6000 and another is a 5600 i like the 6000 better but.....

well also it was on sale and once i started using a baitcaster i love it but i have always liked abu garcia cause i had a spinning reel by them

my .02

12. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I use both. I prefer baitcasters a little bit more, but they both have their place with my tackle. Using a spinning reel is definitely a much more simple task. For pulling in big hogs though a baitcaster is usually a little bit easier to use.

13. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I prefer the bait cast reels, i feel i have better control plus I like the clicker. I use mostly 6500-c3's and qauntum irons's 430, both have never let me down

14. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I prefer the Casting reel for catfishing, not that they work any better but because I have them on the heavier rods and I have hopes some day of catching a big one. I use spinning reels when I am bank fishing or stopping and fishing on the spur of moment. (Thats what I got in the car and truck) When I am fishing from the boat I am using bait casters.

15. gatorbait

gatorbait New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Baitcast for cats. Johnny Morris JMX10SB XPS Baitcast if my favorite. Spinners are good for trout and some others.

16. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I like spinning because I can cast them farther. I've also not had a lot of opportunity to use a bait caster. I'm thinkin' about bying one though.

17. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Baitcaster hands down....I use spinning reels to catch bait!:big_smile: ....LOL

18. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I use both like em both. I use a accudepth 27lc for trolling for trout and kokes works perfect everytime. for my bass fishing i use shimano curados and a couple of others from them for cats I have a couple of abu bait casters I use and a spinning reel I use. When I troll for stripers and go for sturgeon I use a spinning reel and sometimes a bait caster. All have thier good and bad points as far as I am concerned.

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I am partial to baitcasters.

The main reason is I feel I can apply pressure to the fish and control the fish better with a baitcaster. I can also cast some weight on a baitcaster a lot further than on a spinning rod.

20. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    im with itch2scratch baitcasters all the way. i feel they cast better and it seems like the fight lasts longer.