Spinning or Baitcaster for Bass fishing?

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by CJ21, Jun 26, 2007.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am wondering which do u pefer, I pefer baitcasters for my bass fishing I may get a spinning reel for throwing pastic worms weightless but I know at this time.

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Good question Charles.....I prefer spinning reel's myself...for bassing can't go wrong with a shimano cast as smooth as silk and are super strong reel's.

3. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I use a baitcaster for bass fishing and for catfishing too.

4. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    baitcaster all the way (Shimano Bantam Curado). The acuracy you can acheive is amazing with a baitcaster. I'll use spinning reels occasionaly if I'm drop-shoting or some other finess fishing, but really don't like to.

5. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    I use ultra light spinning for most of my bass fishing but I f I know there are gonna be bass over 5 pounds where i'm fishing, I'll use my quantum iron baitcaster that I have mounted on a ugly stik lite 7' MH. My favorite is the ultralight spinning though.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think young Chase has it figured out.Both spinning and baitcasting are needed for different applications.:smile2:

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I guess so. I might get me a spinning.

8. Kinch's_cats

Kinch's_cats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use both and they are both Quantums. I think it really just depends on what you are throwing. If you are throwing a bigger bait or a bait that requires more speed like a spinner or crank I would use the baitcaster. If you're throw plastics I would use the spinning reel. I don't think you'll be sorry if you get one.

9. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i prefer spining, but sometimes when i use a zebco 33 just for fun! (lol cant go wrong there, those things never tangle!)

10. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I think that Chase and Mickey has it right on this one. It all depends on what lure you are fishing. I like using spining rods for what I call finesse lure fishing for example worm fishing. If the bass are deep I like to use the baitcaster for crank baits. Not saying this is a correct answer just my perference

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I most fish texas rig with plastic worms.

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    CJ, I use baitcasters alot, but i do use spinning rigs on occasion, i use what the situation calls for.

13. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    i some times use both... not at the same time

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    There is a very good article in the latest SPORT FISHING magazine about the new heavy duty spinning reels and catching huge fish with them.I only use PENN 7500s for catfishing and never feel the need for anything bigger.Spinning reels have handled the biggest fish available in the surf for decades without any problem.:big_smile:

15. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Personally I prefer a spinning reel over a baitcaster, I have 1 baitcaster and no matter how much I practice with it seems like I always end up with at least a small birds nest. I can cast a hundred times great, but then BAM the wind grabs it or something and I have a mess. As for the bigger fish I bought a Bass Pro Shop Cat Max Spinning reel that I've never had a problem landing larger fish with. Been thinking about trying a Abu or Penn baitcaster for fishing for big fish, but haven't done it yet.

16. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    michael practice that's what i did... you'll get the hang of it

17. dylan543

dylan543 New Member

State:
    ohio
    there is no way i think u want a spinning reel for plastic worms u want a baitcaster to cast it far so that way u are making good casts besides the right in front of u cast lol

18. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Both definitely have their pros and cons -- depending upon their application.

Do you want distance or control?
    Do you want fish hauling torque or smooth drag?

I personally find that the drag in a quality spinning reel (like my Penn 850ss) is better equipped for long fights, but the CONTROL of the cast with a baitcasting reel is unparalleled.

Btw, I also enjoy using UL for catching bait and just fooling around...there's a lot to be said for landing fish on 4 or 6lb line!

19. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    I've got a Quantum spinning reel mounted on a Berkley Bump Med action... works for me.

20. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    I USE BAITCAST MOST OF THE TIME(TEAM DAIWA) BUT I USE A SPIN WITH A MANNS -4 CRANKBAIT ON MY HOME LAKE AND IT WORKS WELL IN 6 TO 8 FOOT OF WATER:cool2: