Spinning gear vs Casting gear

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by tomcat85, Sep 28, 2006.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    well i have 2 spiining rods right now ones a cabelas king cat and the other is a shakespear tigerspinning. ive been really looking into baitcasters and i found some nice combos. ive been using spinning reels forever do you guys use spinning and casting reels at the same time when you go fishing? im scared im going to want to get rid of my other rods if i get a baitcaster. idk lol im nuts. just let me know what you think. thanks.

2. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    I have one spinning rod the shakespeare big water. It is ok, I myself prefer bait casters, they just feel more comfortable in my hands. I will most likely start doing as Zakk said, using my spinning reel for bobber fishing. And I dont know if spinning reels have a bait click, but I really like that about my bait casters.

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I personally prefer my spinning reels/rods. I have had nothing but trouble with those baitcasters with birdnesting and the whole thumb/palming thing. Also need to use a heavy lure/bait to pull your line enough to spin the spool. Thats just me though and I only say that cause I'm not used to them so I wouldn't tell you not to get one. Who knows You might love it! Well Good luck in what ever you decide to do! Your friend Buddah!

4. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    thanks buddah! i think im just going to stay with my spinning reels. id be nice if they made them with baitclickers though.

5. Sam Wall

Sam Wall New Member

State:
    California
    All I know is when people I fish with use baitcasters I am constantly helping them fix the birdsnest. When they cast I wait for them to say "Hold this" and hand me a mile of line. I was raised using baitcasters and I had a lot of trouble using a spinning reel the first time, but now I dont think I could go back and deal with the headache. I personally don't think either is better than the other, it's just what you are better at using.

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    To me bait caster are hard to use. They bird nest easy and are tuff to throw into the wind. I do like them but I need more practice with them.
    Bill

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tom: Use the spinning reels that you have confidence in and also take a baitcast outfit with you to work with. It will not be long before you can answer your own question. I have used both and I prefer the baitcast. Just remember to adjust the line out speed to your weight each time and you will do just fine.

8. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    I use spinning reels I have owend severl baitcasters but when I cast them you never know where the bait will land I can cast a spinning reel and put it where I want to so I dont even bother with bait casters anymore

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I use both at the same time. 2 abu 6000's and several spinning rods. Both are intercangeable, both cast well, both fight fish well, both have bait clickers or runners, Depending on the day I like bothe the same or dislike both the same. I have had birds nests with the baitcaster but I have had drag problems with the spinning gear.

10. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    I have used both for bass fishing and I think once you get used to a bait caster most would prefer them to the spinning reels.

I think the biggest thing with big fish like cats is that the drags are usually more consistent on baitcasters which can keep you out of trouble when fighting a big fish.

11. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    For me it depends on where and how I am fishing. Fishing from the bank, I don't like the spinners due to they are difficult to take the slack out of, or adjust since the whole body and bail turn, if they are laying on the bank, you have to pick them up every time you need to adjust. I can't always get a rod holder where I fish, as the bank is to sloped, or rocky. Baitcasters can be adjusted, and slack taken out of them by simply turning the handle while they are still on the ground.

In a boat, I like using the spinning rods, as I am a little more comfortable casting them. I am fairly new to the baitcasters, but my Abu Record 60 reels very seldom ever backlash. I think I have only done it once, on the first or second cast. You just have to practice, and learn to adjust the brake to prevent bird's nests!:crazy:

12. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    I agree with that 100%.. but heres something to think on...picture your truck stuck in the mud 35 ft down a bank. what are they going to use to bring you back up?...a wench, And a baitcaster is built exactly like a wench, thats why I learned to cast and fish 90% of the time with them. At the same time I still use spinning reels , just something to think on

13. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I use both...i have 2 spinning and 3 baitcast.The spinning hands down will cast alot further but i feel more comfortable using my baitcast.If you hate birdnests...i recommend getting the Shimano Corsair 400.I have 2 of them and i have no problems.My other baitcast is the Abu 6500 c4 and i hate it.Nothing but problems.Though at times when it wants to cooperate with me,it casts very smooth and far.

14. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use both now thankx to Zakk. if you get one have him give you an online lessen. he will explane how to set them up and cast..rep points to Zakk.smokey

15. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Give a baitcaster a try if some one will loan one to ya , but use what you feel comfortable with .

16. Styx

Styx New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've been fishing with bait casters practically all my life. "LONG TIME" Once ya learn it's not bad at all. I've had about 2 or 3 birdnest in the past 5 years. Bait clickers are great. I usually use a combo of the bait clicker and the drag system at the same time . This gets ya an extra second or 2 if your not right there by your pole.

17. rocket256

rocket256 Well-Known Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    McGill
    I use to used nothing but spinning reel tell about 2 years ago.Then my buddy Rodney showed me how to use a baitcaster and I have not looked back sense but; I still do have some spinning reels. Just rarelly use them, if a friends want to go fishing that dont have equipment I let them use the spinning reel cuase they are easier to use.

18. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i have and use both i prefer my bait casters because of the bait alerts and i can cast it about twice as far

19. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I agree with the comment on baitcasters being like wenches- they are efficient at casting and are powerhouses. Set them up and know how to use them correctly and you wont have problems. I use strickly baitcasts with the only exception being at the beach on my surf rod. If you want a good spinnin reel with a bait clicker tho, might as well get a shimano baitrunner... from what I've seen they are the best.

20. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i use nothing but bait casters for catfish and carp.the onley spinning reel i like is the abu mx130r.plus i can cast twice as far with my baitcaster than with any spinning reel.