Spinning and Baitcasting fishing reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by countrycat15, Mar 17, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hay guys, i was wondering are big spinning reels just as capable for handling big trophy size cats as baitcasters.also i am thinkin of buying a new rod and reel pretty soon i am wanting the biggest spinning reel i can get for a low cost and 8 foot heavy action rod. any suggestions will help me out alot.thanks

2. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    I'm a bit fan of the Okuma Epixor EB baitrunners. They work awesome and have a great and adjustable baitrunner drag. I have an EB50 which will hold 250 yds of 15lb test, but there is an EB65 that will hold 340 yds of 15lb test and an EB80 that will hold 450 yds of 15lb test. I would imagine the EB65 could tame most cats and the EB80 could tame just about anything. They're pretty reasonably priced for what you get. Catfish Connection is a good place to find them.

3. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    They've also got some cheaper baitrunners (Coronado, Corrida), but I have no experience with these.

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I have 2 Okuma eb80s and a shimano 6500 either will handle big cats.Both are baitrunners and have vary good drags.

5. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    The real difference in to days reels is in the Line capacity and preference, however if you ask me the better build baitcasters such as Shamano, Penn, ABU, Dawia, Accurate, just to name a few are far better than any spinning reel out there. If you are looking and the endurance and power of the reels. For catfishing like we do the spinners will do just fine, but if your looking at Shark or tarpon running 100+ pounds then I would wonder.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I don't know that the rod, reel, line or hook actually makes that much difference. I think it all boils down to how do you use them. If your gonna try and horse a big blue with a spinning reel, you mabe ought to rethink the situation. I believe the most important criteria is experience. To get that you have to pay your dues. You will loose some big fish but what you gain will help you the rest of your life. Spinning rods and reels work just fine for big cats. They are not going to turn a freight train, but I don't think the Abu's or Penn's will either. Get what is comfortable for your pocket, practice with it, fish with it, and you will become a better catman.

As far as price, only you know how tight the wallet is... I'd recommend (and I do follow my own advise in this matter) that you shop ebay. Find whats being offered, exit ebay and do as search in Bass Pro, Academy, or other retailer for that model or as similar model, get the price and shipping charges. Then go back on ebay and watch the sale...especially check the shipping charges. Ebay says to wait until just before the auction closes then make your maximum bid. If the items selling for $10.00, at 30 seconds before the end make your max bid, lets say $50.00. When the auction ends, if no one else had bid, you probably get the item for $10.50. However, if the previous bidder had bid a max of $25.00, you would get the bid at $26.00. Just don't get carried away by the excitement. I once was going to place a bid of $31.00 for an Abu reel and during the excitement I forgot to place the decimal point in the right place and bid $3,100.00. Fortunatley I won the reel for $26.00...lol

7. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Gator , I would gladly put my Shimano 6500 baitrunner and my $20 Cabelas King Kat 8' ft 2 piece spinning rod up against any one of your 100 lb. sharks or tarpons without hesitation. Like the man before me said , its all in how you use them. :0a6: