Spinner's

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by center12, Nov 8, 2005.

1. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Spinner's.......................yea............naa?????

I just bought my first spinner ever today, figured it would be a while before KS outlawed them. I've got a timber spot that begs for an attention grabber like a spinner.

What are your alls thought's on them? Should they be outlawed? Do they even work in your neighborhood? Love'm, hate'm...can't live without them :)

I've killed lot's of ducks without one so I don't consider it a "crutch", just any other tool used to enjoy my time afield. Limits still 6 here whether I spin it or not.

2. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I think you should be able to use whatever you want as long as the limit stays at 6. Whats the difference if you have 20 dozen decoys or a dozen decoys and a spinner, to me it makes no difference.

3. guthook

guthook New Member

State:
    Paragould AR
    Arkansas got rid of them this year, and i'm glad. We haven't spun one for the past 2 years, only at the first of season about the first 10min of shootin hours.

The first year they worked so well you could kill 40+ ducks a day on dry ground with no decoys. But have hurt most hunts since. Sure they pull the ducks from far, but you have to be able to turn them off the last 100 yds.

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    They work great. Make sure to get a remote, like guthook says to turn them off when there comeing in. If your hunting on the water it's hard to beat the mallard machine too.

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Charlie-since you asked for opinions-I'll give you mine
    I think they are the most GD annoying things.
    I can't stand them.
    They are effective.
    Any topwater can buy one and pull some ducks in.
    Where is the fun/thrill/experience in that?
    Flip a switch,shoot some ducks,go home.
    Thats my opinion,and I ain't sorry about it.

But if its legal,its up to you.

6. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    IMHO if you kill your limit in 1 hour or 10 whats the difference. I would rather be out there in the nasty weather for a shorter amount of time if I could than be out there for 10 hours miserable only to see a few ducks at a distance laughing at you.

7. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Used it for the first time this morning and we limited out on Mallard drakes and teal, took about an hour and a half for 3 of us. Did the spinner help, doubt it, did it hurt, doubt it................high winds, rain, new birds, overcast skys, and a nice hole in the timber............a kindergardener with waders and a dozen dek's would have taken a limit :eek: (scouting is still more lethal than ANY decoy you can put in a spread)

I did put a modulator on the decoy and run it 3 seconds on, 3 seconds off, not near as irratating :). It didn't flare ducks so guess it was worth it.

Two years ago my outlook on spinners was exactly the same as cook's but have noticed that since hunting over them my shot's have been closer, my ID's more positive(nothing makes me madder than hen shooters and sky busters) and the numbers of crip's has dropped. I believe they will eventually be outlawed but till then it'll be just another tool in the arsenal.

Got to go clean some birds now, peace!!

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    JAYNC,there are some folks and perhaps Mr Cook is one of them that feel the duck and goose hunting experience isn't how fast or effectively you kill your limits but about the overall hunting experience itself.There was a time when live ducks were used as decoys and the market hunters would shoot flocks of ducks sitting on the water with 2-4gauge guns mounted on the bow of their sneak boats.Now that was fast and effective but a little short on the true experience.Sitting in a blind on a miserable day,with a good dog and a few dekes out is a great experience,one you talk about forever.If the birds came in and you got a limit and the dog worked well then it was perfect,If they stayed out of range all day except two that you managed to bring in by really working them with good calling and you got one of them that MIGHT be more satifying to some people that shooting a limit in ten minutes over a spinner then going home.As a famous outdoor writer once said the achievement is measured by the effort it took to achieve it.One duck brought in on a lousy day ,killed with a good shot and the dog broke ice to retrieve it might be more memorable than a stack of bodies that didn't take any real effort or skill to acquire.Slow down and enjoy the experience ,because you don't know how many you are going to have.I'm not in any way criticizing anybodys way of duck hunting but I promise you will remember those you really worked for long after the easy ones fade from memory.

9. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I am just saying that if you can use a tool, then why not use it. I actually used one this morning and we didnt do too good anyways, I guess we were in the wrong spot and had the spinner set up in the wrong place. I can definitely see your point of staying out there all day for the experience, I definitely like hunting and do hunt all day long sometimes. We were out in the rain for 5 hours this morning and I actually enjoyed it a lot.

10. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Jim,5 stars,you said what I was thinking but couldn't express.
    And to the others,I ain't preaching or judging,if its legal,you can do what you want.Its up to you.I don't want to go back to the days of throwing a rock to get a duck.

BTW-kinda nasty out today-30 degrees and dropping-winds up to 40 mph-snow /rain all day....and yeah..I'm going tomorrow

11. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Got my nasty weather this morning.............I'll be sleeping in tomorrow :p .

Good luck to you all, the push should really start firing up soon.

12. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Very good point,one I haven't considered.See I'm not such a bad guy,I can see both sides.I have tried them,just prefer not to.

Stay warm,Cook

13. hoosier angler

hoosier angler New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Dito to Jim's post > that is what it is about to me. Hoosier