Spinners for cats

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by shovelheadstalker, Feb 16, 2008.

1. shovelheadstalker

shovelheadstalker New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I know Flatheads like live bait but Im wonder how the luck has been with spinner lures if any?

thanks, Robb

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Had one follow a white roostertail to the boat once.
    Fair size fish but he never grabbed the spinner.

3. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    i have caught catfish on spinners while wading in creeks before. Can't remember what kind it was though. But catfish will take a spinner.

4. shovelheadstalker

State:
    Arizona
    DANZIG,

Could have been that cat seen the line.

thanks, Robb

5. shovelheadstalker

State:
    Arizona
    gargoil77,

Good to hear. Im sure a channel will hit a spinner a flathead would be a little tougher Im thinking.

thanks, Robb

6. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i've seen and caught lots of channel cats on spinners, but never heard of a flathead on one. course i get suprised everyday though. :amazed:
    gary

7. shovelheadstalker

State:
    Arizona
    Im thinking you can if you fish the spinner correctly. A rainbow,silver colored spinner can look a lot like a small rainbow trout in theory...lol

Fishing it closer off the bottom for cats the better. A 1/4 oz spinner should sink about a foot-per-second so maybe just off the bottom if you can figure it right. Fishing it too close to the bottom could be tricky. Don't want to get stuck on logs etc. Also, a single hook might be better than a treble (less snags)

Im located east of you Sierra Vista, AZ. Ive been thinking about making a trip west to Martinez Lake one of these weekdays. Hows the fishing there come spring?

Robb

8. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    I nailed a good flathead at Bartlett 2 years ago on an old Heddon Hellbender while trolling. When I got him on the boat I noted a fresh gash. I think I trolled over him and dragged a trebble hook over his big boney head! To which he took exeception.

Attached Files:

9. shovelheadstalker

State:
    Arizona
    haha...works for me :wink:

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I've caught cats on spinners, plugs, and a wide array of odd things, but I have never specifically fished for cats with said bait. Can't recall if I ever caught a flathead on one though.
    BB in SC

11. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    For some reason Mepps spinners work on channel catfish. Flat heads.........well if waters raising and you have live bait on the spinner it could work.

12. shovelheadstalker

State:
    Arizona
    Bill in SC,

My thinking on it is if you can make the spinner look like move like a small mimmow or little rainbow trout,frog etc you should have some luck.

The big problem here is getting hung-up on logs and rocks. To catch those cats you are going to have to fish off the bottom. At $5 + a lure it adds up fast if your lossing them!

13. shovelheadstalker

State:
    Arizona
  14. shovelheadstalker

State:
    Arizona