Spinner blade rigs for cats

Discussion in 'Carolina Catfish Club' started by Mac-b, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    In colder months, in some locations, the catfish bites decreases due to a lot of reasons, which I will not go into at this moment. But, I will share with you something that WylieCat (President of the Carolina Catfish Club) shared with me last year and it improved my fall/winter bite when drifting. You can use cut bait chunks, filet strips or live bait with this rig. I have also prepared another thread in Mac Byrum's Catfish University on the Prepartition and Presentation of catfish baits to assit you in this endeavor.

All you need is an 8/0 circle hook (J hooks or other designed hooks will work), 24 to 30 inches of florocarbon shock leader, a swivel, two beads (any color will work) and a spinner blade (any size or color will work). I snell by line to my hook, then I insert two beads above the hook thru the shock leader, then I place the spinner blade, then my 2.5 inch cork and then my swivel. Then I attach my fishing line to this rig. You do not want the blade to cover or touch your hook. Add as many beads as you need to avoid this situation.

You have to maintain a speed of 1/2 to 3/4 MPH with this rig so that the spinner blade will spin or just swing from side to side, it does not matter what action the blade causes. The flash of the blade or the slight noise that it makes tends to draw the larger cats.

I have found that on lakes and reserviors, that the catfish bite in the daylight hours in the fall/winter period is horrible and not much better at night. This could be due to the rapid cooling down that our bodies of water go thru in the late summer and early fall. A 1/2 degree in water temp. can turn off the catfish bite, plus a lot of fresh water from hurricanes tend to affect the bite in the fall/winter, but not in the spring. Also, it is possible that the blue cat is in a travel mode to it's fall/winter feeding areas. But the flathead continues to feed, following the stripers and white perch during this period. The spinner bait rigs will attract the flathead. This has been proven many times by bass fishermen.

In the beginning I stated that this rig was for drifting. But, if you are a river fisherperson who anchors down and you have sufficent current to turn the spinner blade or make it swing back and forth, then you might want to try it. You can test it by dropping it off the side of the boat and see what the current is doing to the spinner blade.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    GREAT post, Mac! I've been waitin' to see what those rigs looked like. Should work well for rivers too!
    Bill in SC

3. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    Thanks for the great post Mac! I use skirt like they use for king mackeral fishing sometimes and they work good also. CAPE LOOKOUT LURES has some really flashy skirts that really flash and shine. It can get expensive, especially at Santee in the stumps drifting.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I can see how this would work. Thanks for sharing this valuable information with us

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks Mac for the great post,I'll be trying it in the river

6. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    thanks for the post where do you get the blades at?

7. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    that is a great idea and i was just thinking about this for bank fishing a river. as i have one spot where this would work.

8. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Tim, most local bait shops, plus Gander Mtn. and Bass Pro have them. You will find them in the bass fishing section.