Spinner baits

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by IfishFORcatfish, Nov 14, 2006.

1. IfishFORcatfish

IfishFORcatfish New Member

State:
    california
    anyone know of any spinner baits that work for catfish ???

2. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    i've had channels hit things like rooster tails in ponds, but not enough to call them a channel bait.

3. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yea what ski said....your best bet for catching channels would be sticking w/ the normal catfish baits

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have caught catfish on just about every lure in by box, but it's still an odd exception when it happens. Other baits work much better. However I did read an article about a proffesional catfisherman(who's name escapes me)who commonly trolls with deep running crank baits for flathead.

5. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    oddly enough I caught my biggest channel on a spinnerbait- the water had a super muddy stain and I guess the flash and vibration was more than he could resist.

They are right tho, its not actually a catfish bait. Defenitely wouldnt have any regularity/success of large proportions with it.

6. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    caught a few on a rattle trap

7. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    ive heard of people using jigs and letting them bounce off the bottom. i guess the catfish take it as a distress signal. ive never triend though.

8. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    caught channel catfish on accident with spinner baits, but their right regular catfish baits work better

9. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i fish jigs a lot in the spring and i have caught quite a few channels this way. i was not targetting them specifically, but they certainly will hit lures. There was another lake i used to fish a lot in Utah (Willard Bay) that produced channels frequently on crankbaits.

My biggest channel (7 lbs) this year came from a jig. I was fishiing Old Hickory lake from a boat and casting jigs to the shoreline and working it back to the boat on the bottom. This fish hit the jig almost immediately after it hit the water. Was a blast on light tackle!

cyas
    rc

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have caught a lot of channels on Jigs and a few on spinners Whil targeting other fish:big_smile:

11. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    You will not find a spinnerbait that specifically works for catfish in general as a spinnerbait is more of a surface bait than anything else. You will however hear of incidental catches on spinnerbaits but its not common like this is the thing to use everyday to catch cats. I have heard of most of these incidental catches happening during the spring time and also the fall. I attribute the spring time mainly to spawning of cats in shallow water and some may be protecting their nest or in a pre or post spawn feeding mood and take it as a nice offering of shad. During the fall time they are in their transitioning movements to winter and they go on a feeding spree as well. Not to say this does not happen any other time like the summer and winter becaus it does happen. But I hear more cases of this in the spring and fall when they hit crankbait sometimes, spinners, and even plastic worms from bass fisherman.

12. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I caught one on a bluegill popper one evening. It came from a pond where they ate a lot of floating fish food.

On my lake (Eufaula), they really hammer emerging mayflies; one of these days, I'm gonna match the hatch.

13. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I know a guy who has caught two flatheads in the 50 pound range on chartruese spinnerbaits. My brother also caught a ten pound channel on a buzzbait.

14. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have also caught channels on spinnerbaits while Bass fishing. I have never caught any other type of catfish on them.

15. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I caught a number of channels this summer trolling crankbaits behind my boat. I was actually fishing for crappie but the channels would hit them sometimes better than the crappie.

16. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i have caught numerous catfish on spinnerbaits but i have also caught alot on plastic worms when fishing for bass.

17. TX Catman

TX Catman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Is it weird to catch catfish on spinner baits?

18. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    umm no not really, but i dont suggest trying it, youre much better off using blue gill, or shad or a catfish bait of some sort