Spincasting reels question

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by tomcat85, Sep 5, 2006.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    are they any good for catfishing?

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to use them, and caught alot of channel cats on zebco 33's...Personally now I would not use them, mainly becasue I fish for big fish, and they dont hold enough line, or have a very good drag system...I would suggest a spinning reel over a spin catsting reel anyday..I mainly use baitcasting reels now.

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Jack gave some good advice. I also think you would be better off with a Spinning reel, or better yet a good bait caster. Just My thoughts though! Good Luck J.D.

4. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    thats what i meant lol a baitcaster! i was looking at some for 30 dollars all of them said 12lb test line but i want one that can hold like 20-30lb test

5. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Go to the bass pro website and look for the tidewater reel by shakespear, I spool it with 25. The bait release is the awesome part.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Save the money and buy a baitcaster. If you are serious about catching cats you will be better serves in the long run by going with something that will last and hold up to abuse it will have to take.

7. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    ive foudn a lot of baitcasting reels im only looking to spend 30-40 dollars and the ones in those price ranges all say 12lb test. maybe i just dont get it lol

8. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I have a Zebco 888 , I am very confident in it's ability to handle big fish .:roll_eyes: I hope !!

9. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    another good option would be one of the okuma classic pro models in catfish connection. they are real good cheaper reels and they cast great. caught my biggest fish with one, a 52 pound blue.

10. benneeb0y

benneeb0y New Member

State:
    VA
    i've been using spinning reels only and am interested ina bait caster. ne1 else use the tidewater one? also what are the advantages beside holding more line??? thanks!

11. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Ben, the tidewater isn't the best baitcaster to learn to throw. They aren't impossible, just more difficult than the smoother casting ABUs. Also for an advantage, they offer a freespool baitclicker unlike the majority of your spinning reels. I myself am strictly a tightline fisherman, but some people really like the baiclicker option on a reel. The baitclicker option is really nice for a bankfisherman who has a few rods scattered and some are out of immediate reach. The baitcasters tend to have a little smoother drag than the spinning reels, but not always. Vern

12. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Baitcasters can cast smoother with heavier line and they can cast MUCH MUCH farther once you get the hang of it. The physics of a baitcaster and how the spool works just seems more practical, but I fish both.

13. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I have a Shimano Baitrunner 4500, And love it! But they will run you around a hundred bucks. The Penn 209s are real good, but don't cast as well as the Abu reels.

14. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    I have, baitcasters, spinning reels, and spincasters. 99% of fish I catch any of my spincasters can handle without any problem. I can reach out futher with them than the baitcasters. Around here that is a must. If a spinning or spincasting reel will do ya, do with it. Conditions play a big part in reel coice. Lake vs river and size of fish. It's your money and we are known for our overkill in things we use. Just use reel/rod to match size of fish you are after.

15. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like to stick with bait casters just for the fact that is what I have always used. In my book it's hard to beat a abu but mine seem to suffer from a little wear and tear from year to year..guess they all do.

16. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    In my lifetime I believe that spincasters have caught more freshwater fish than all of the rest put together.The 808's & 888's have caught their share of saltwater fish.I believe all of the info. that I have seen so far is correct.You and you alone have to make the final choice.You will enjoy and catch far more fish with a reel that you enjoy and are comfortable with,than you ever will with one that you dislike.Most people will fish a lifetime without ever hooking a fish that is too large for a spincast.peewee-williams

17. benneeb0y

benneeb0y New Member

State:
    VA
    thanks all for the valuble info. im only bank fishn (No boat but am thinkn bout getting 1) so casting distance is big concern. I can cast pretty far with my spinner. But seems that bait casters can get you that extra reach??? and it seems that the abu's are the way to go. im search and see what I can find. thanks guys!!!

18. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    888 808 733 hawg rhino are all good little ree;s for the money.good lock

19. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    There`s nothing wrong with a 888 or 808 they have caught more than there share of Big fish i have all 3 type reel my self the 888 is around 25 years old its like a timex watch it takes a licken and keeps ticken:006:

20. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    make sure you get some quantum hot sauce to lube em up with. Its the greatest oil ever!