Spincasters Do They Have a Place in Your Arsenal?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Duane, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Duane

Duane New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Spin caster do you carry them I carry a daiwa 212rl spolled with 12 lb test it hasent failed me yet but........ I only caught 3 to 8 lber"s on it .I also carry some abu 4600 as everyone knows who have read my post I use smaller reels and smaller line 12 and 14 pound test but im not after the big boys but I sure eat alot of catfish

2. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I use them, but mostly just for bait poles. They cast great, and I feel like I have better control than with a spinning reel. I "accidently" caught a ~40lb flathead on one while bait fishing last spring - that was quite a battle. I've also got an older Zebco 270 Brute spolled with 30lb monoo that would handle a pretty big catfish, but I can't remember the last time I had it out. My catfish poles are all baitcasters now.

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I bought 2 spincast setups for my girlfriend, both are Zebco Pro Staff 888 series on 7' South Bend MH rods. Both setups work find for her, her best is a 10 lb flathead.

5. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I have a new zebco 33 and a zebco 888 that I use around the dam at Carlyle lake or as a bass reel while I've got my catfish lines in the water.

6. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My wife likes to use a 888 Zebco and I always carry my old 808 as a backup.Before the night is over I usuall have my Abu baitcaster in a mess and I fall back on the big cheap Shakespeare spinning reel or the old trusty Zebco.

7. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    All I use are baitcasts. I personally dont care for spinning reels but that is just my opinion.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
  9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    No I personally can't stand Spincaster's. But don't let JW or DH hear that, because a little bird told me that they both use little barbie rods with those reels. LOL!

10. cjb10876

cjb10876 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I got a zebco 888 pro staff at Walmart two years ago on clearence for $20 and starting leaving by baitcaster and spining reels at home. I find the line lasts a LOT longer than my spinning reels and i'm not picking at tangles like with the baitcasters. PA doesn't have 100+ pounders and a catfish over 12 pounds is big, so i'm not worried about it busting on a monster fish. If I were fishing different waters in different conditions I would probably make different gear selections, but for my needs simplicity beats all out strength.

11. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    they have there place.i have some old zebco 33's im talkin 40 yr.old reels that do a good job on crappie and trout.

12. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I'm kinda a rod & reel junkie, and I've got several of most types of rods & reels. I keep 3 or 4 spincasters for youngsters and inexperienced fishermen that I take from time to time. I want everybody who fishes with me to have something that they can use effectively, even if I have to give 'em a spincaster and take them someplace where the rod and reel combo won't be "challenged".

Jerrod

13. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    Who was it that uses the Dora the Explorer combo?

BTW, Zakk, they recalled your SpongeBob Squarepants Floating Combo:

http://www.zebco.com/recall/index1.html

:grin-big:

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Yep!I think that they are the most "user friendly"reel made.Even more so than my "hand line"reels.As I lose more & more control of my hands,the more I turn to them.I believe they are the best reel to put in someones hand,who has never fished before,and you wish them to enjoy the first time.Simplicity is what they do best.Many people never learn that you can control your cast with your thumb,like a casting reel.You take a spin caster and a 20 t0 24 inch ice fishing rod.You can sit in a boat and make short cast up under trees and bushes hanging within 2 or 3 inches of the water.You do this by holding your rod horizontal just above the water or vertical,with the tip pointing to the water.A little practice and you can cast to places that you never dreamed of fishing.You can use this method with ultra lite and 4 lb.to heavy duty with 20 lb.mono.You can skip that lure up into places that no one has ever fished before.You have to be quiet,as you can not cast far.You do need to practice and learn to cast it BEFORE you fish.Among the bushes is no place to learn.You want your cast to stay as close to the water as possible.I learned to use my Ice fishing rods when I got back down south.BE CAREFUL with the rods,or you will break them.peewee-williams. ps.How come those guys that don;t use spin casters know all about those KID-DY RIGS?Makes you suspicious,don;t it?

15. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    i have a couple left. slowly replacing them all with baitcasters, even the bait catching reels.

16. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i do alot of jig fishing with one but thats about it.

17. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I've never cared for spinning reels but I picked up a combo a month or so ago for free. It is an ultralight rod about 4.5 feet long with a small reel with about 6 pound test on it. I thought it would be fun for skippy fishin. Well, I used it a couple of weeks ago for the first time and that will probably be the last time. I had a couple of jigs tied in tandem and started casting at the power plant discharge. After about 10-15 casts, I got it all tangled (as spinning reels are prone to do). I messed with it for a little while and eventually broke the line. :cursing: The rod went back into the rod holder and then into the shop when I got home. That's probably where it will stay for a good while :thumbdown

I bought a new Zebco 33 last year and it's worth its weight in gold for bream and skippy fishin. Before that I used a 733 (I think) with 20 pound test on it. I had had that reel for 15 years or so before it bit the dust. I'll stick with the 33 and I'll buy another one when this one retires.

Some people swear by spinning reels and others swear at them. I'm of the latter persuasion....:glare:

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've always been a fan of the Zebco UL4.
    It is used on a spinning rod but is closed face with a trigger between the spool and the rod.
    I use these exclusively for bream fishing and my ultralite needs to catch bait.
    Several years ago I took one of the 15 foot crappie busters and epoxied the joints and wrapped 15 eyes along the rod. I mounted the reel with electrical tape to have the balance I was looking for.
    Talk about heaving a cricket and weighted cork into the next county.
    That was great for those shallow bluegill beds full of skittish fish.
    I could cast well beyond them and slowly reel in to them.
    The fight with those huge Bluegill was identical to that of a cane pole except I could reel line in.

I gotta build another one or find a decent priced noodle blank to use.

19. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I use one thats about like Mark does. Its officially my brother's, but he loans it out to me from time to time. Its a great little panfish/crappie rod, and I wouldnt trade it for the world, except now its broken :sad:

20. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    He he he....now that's not that funny....OK, yes it is....don't let that kind of information out in public anymore though.;)