Spincast reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by strictly catfish, Nov 1, 2008.

1. I was hoping someone from the B.O.C. could help me with some advice.
    I plan on purchasing a Abu-Garcia 476i Spincast reel.
    The reel comes with 10 lb. line {100 yards}.
    My question is can this reel handle 30 lb. Mono or do I have to put braid on it and what size braid can I use. I would rather keep the Mono 30 lb.on it if I can.
    Thank you very much for advice on this, appreciated.

sTRICTLY Catfish

2. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I looked on their site. It says 100 yds. of 12 lb. If you use 30 lb. you probably won't get 50 yds. on it. I wouldn't use braid on it either. Mainly because of cost. 150 yds. of power pro $15 on a $35 reel. Are you dead set on a spincast? If so,why not a zebco 808 or 888 pro staff. Same price range,more reel.

3. Thank you for the feedback Motard1.
    If I could get fifty yards of mono on that reel I would still be happy.
    I looked at the 808 and 888 pro-staff and they look a little to bulky for my rod.
    I don't see why it would not work. I have 30lb. test on a zebco 733 and it cast's just fine.

4. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    What kind of rod do you use? It may be worth upgradinng in the long run. For $33 at Wal Mart,they have the zebco Hawg Seeker combo. It has the 808 on a decent lookin rod. May be worth looking into. I buy combos sometimes,but its like this. If the reel is really good,expect a not so great rod. If the rod is great,expect a lesser reel. Thats not always the case,but it seems pretty standard. At bass pro,I bought a shakespeare arsenal combo. It's on a 6'6" sturdy stik. Both items are pretty tough. It cost me $49. They also have their offshore angler series in spinning combos. They are $29 with an 8' rod. Both combos have served me well.

5. Motard1,

As of right now I am using a 6'6 Zebco Titanium pole with the 733 reel.
    I really like the rod becauise of the finger trigger and it is light but durable.
    Thank you for the response.

sTRICTLY Catfish

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'm assuming that you are using the spincast to catch bait, right? I have an Abu Garcia 1076 that I use for bait catchin', and I love it!
    Bill in SC

7. Bill,

Actually I just prefer a Spincast for dipbait fishing.
    Thank you for the reply.

sTRICTLY Catfish

8. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    something to think about also if you are wanting to put a braided line on the reel is that most spincast reels come with steel or ceramic pickup pins. braided line will cut through them, though i do think abu garcia makes a spincast reel set up for braided line.

Joe

9. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I think I would go for an 808 or 888. I just don't like spincasts very much. But if I did,bigger is better where they are concerned. But,thats just me.

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    might as well use the rod for catching somthing else and get another setup more suited for heaver mono. walmart has the shakespear tiger spincast combo for $20 that would probally work perfect for what you want and already has 20# line on it so 30# would be ok. from posts on here ive read the metal top ones, i think they all are now, hold up pretty good. ive almost ought one many times.

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    sounds like the 733 is a larger reel to me :confused2: i think they come with 20#. some problems can occur with too large of line, poor cast, trouble reeling, drag . i think the tiger combo is about the size of the 733.

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I have a bunch of dead zebcos, and spincasters, and a few rods that've ended up in more pieces than they started with, hanging around my garage.
    Any spincast worth catchin cats on is gonna cost a little bit..
    You can put heavy line , on light tackle, or a cane pole,, but, your drag ain't gonna keep up!! I have a couple of Abu Garcia 106 series that I use for bait, bass, and small channels. I enjoy those as they're smooth, adequate drags, fairly inexpensive,etc. also, use 10# on the small one, 15# on the larger.(mono)
    I've found some great bargains at Cabelas closeout sales, their backroom sale stuff, also on e-bay for gear and tackle.
    Not familiar with some of the reels and rods others have posted about, but, I think they're the larger sizes compared to their brethren!!
    I guess the small stuff is for fishin' and bigger stuff's for when you're huntin'!!:wink:

13. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    The 733 will NOT handle the larger cats ,the drag system is not made for it

14. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I agree. If you're going for big cats,time to upgrade. At the prices listed for the abu spincast,you could buy a Tidewater. Now,probably not the greatest reel,but tough as nails. Or you could try some pawn shops. I got 2 Abus and 1 ugly stik,1 sturdy stik last week for $40. Can't beat that.

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well he said he was using it for a dip bait r&r and dip bait isnt nessairaly known for catching monsters more like occationally breaking double digits.

16. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Thats true. But when you start spending $40 on a reel,why not add a couple dollars and get something that will last a long time.

17. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

IF THE REEL ISNT MADE FOR THE LINE THAN IT ISNT WORHT TRING IT.....

MY NEIGHBOR USES GERMAN REELS THAT ARE SMOOTH AS BUTTER WHEN YOU USE 80 BRAID BUT WHEN YOU TRY TO SET THE DRAG TO 10 LINE IT JUST PEELS OFF.....

" THIS SOUNDS FUNNY BUT THE CO. THAT MADE THE REELS FOR HOLDING BRAID OF NOTHING SMALLER THEN 50 LB" ANY LIGHTER AND IT BASICALLY SKIPS INSTEAD OF SLIPS :confused2:

THERE ARENT DRAG DISCS BUT SOME SPRINGS AND BEARINGS :confused2::confused2::confused2:

HE FOUND IT AT A GARAGE SALE AND IT WAS $30 AND COVERED IN GREASE- FISHING LINE BUT HE KNEW WHAT IT WAS AND THE RETAIL VALUE WAS 400 "E" OR WHATEVER "EURO" OR SOMETHING?!?!?!

ILL HAVE TO ASK HIM WHATS THE NAME AND IF I CAN TAKE A PICTURE OF THE DRAG SYSTEM FOR YALL!

LeRoy:cool2: