Spincast reel recomendations?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Bill in SC, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I love to use a good spincast reel for pan fish. I think the last four or five I have bought through the years have been pure JUNK. Does anyone have a recommendation for one that will last longer than the line that is on it? I have been looking at the Abu Garcias as I had one of the vintage ones as a youth, and it was a good reel. I also looked at a Rhino at Wal-Mart yesterday. It has several ball bearings and reels like butter. Anyone know anything about the Rhino? I want this to be a one shot deal on a quality spincast reel. They just do not make stuff like they used to and one needs to be careful when reel shopping.
    Bill in SC

2. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I use the Mitchell Avocet. I have the ultralight but they make about 3 more in this series that are bigger. I believe I got mine from Bass Pro?

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks I F, but I am looking for a spincast (push button) reel, not a regular spinning reel.
    BB in SC

4. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Sorry. I misread.

I have a Johnson Century that is very old but still works great. They still sell these.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    My favorite two spinning reels from my youth were an Abu Garcia and a Johnson Sabre. I can vouch for both of those. Think I may go with the Abu Garcia 1076. Does anyone here have a modern ABU spincaster? Wonder how the quality of the new ones compares to the old ones? Wonder where they are made?
    BB in SC

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    BTW: I actually had one of those Rhino reels in my hands yesterday at Wal-Mart. Man, that booger reels as smoothly as my Abu Garcia bait casters!! Just wondering if anyone here had one and could comment on the durability of it, before I have to ORDER the Abu.
    Bill in SC

7. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Bill,
    Went down to the river this morning to go fishing and it had rose about 4 ft. form yesterday went back around 4 and it is just about out of the banks here in Cheraw. Hope it will be back down by Friday. I did not realize how much rain they got in NC. As far as spin cast reels today I don't know If I had to buy one it would be one of the abumatic's . I have 3 old 170's and would not take a gold nugget for them. If U can find something at walmart and its no good I think you can always take it back. GOOD LUCK in finding a good one today.

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks, Greg. See my "Treacherous Pee Dee" report over on our section in the SC group.
    BB in SC

9. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    Check out the fairly recent series Zebco Omega reels. I also sometimes like a spincast reel when panfishing for bait. Infinite anti reverse ball bearing smooth, quick change spool. I want a couple but just have a hard time parting with almost 50.00 a piece for a spincast reel but they are sweet!

10. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    You can't go wrong with a rhino or zebco omega. My wife uses both, they are well made, with good drags. If your lucky you can find one of the old zebco one all stainless reels, they were excellent.

11. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Those older Johnsons are fetchin' 30 bucks on the internet.
    As far as the spincast goes they all have the same basic design try to pick one made with some metal

12. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My fishing partner uses a Zebco Model 11 for panfish and gets along fine. I bought one for my wife to use in Minnesota fishing for sunnies last year. (I've used it myself a time or two) It's basically a miniature 33, I use 4 lb line on it. I got the Platinum model, supposed to be better quality, ran me about 25 bucks if I remember right.

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I finally decided on the Abu Garcia 1076 just because no one commented on it. Never even seen or held one. Just seen pics, but if it is of good quality as the other Abu Garcia stuff, I'll be OK.
    BB in SC

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Please give us a review when you have it tested and proved.Thanks.

I Love you brothers and Sisters.peewee

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Will do, PeeWee. Most any brand of spincasters perform well initially. The durability determines their worth.
    BB

16. yankee cat hunter

yankee cat hunter New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    I bought my brother in law an abu garcia a couple years ago and he love it.It has been holding up so far.

17. fishinnut

fishinnut New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Bill, new to the site but not the Pee Dee, How do I find the SC Group ?

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome fishinut!! Go to the "catfish information by state" and click on the South Carolina icon.
    Bill in Bennettsville

19. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i got my nephews the big abumatics and they have held on fish up to 12 pounds. the reels are 4 years old now and i have respooled them each 3 times. they are just as smooth now as they always were. i would recommend them if that's the style of reel you want.

20. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <i would recommend them if that's the style of reel you want.>

Keep in mind this reel will be used for pan fish, and not catfishin'!! :) I use Abu Garcia baitcasters exclusively for the big cats.
    Bill in SC