Spillways?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by motodragon2003, Aug 23, 2006.

1. motodragon2003

motodragon2003 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Are they a generally good spot to hunt for cats??? I've never fished at one and just located the one on my local lake. Any advice? Tips?

2. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Good timing, I was going to scout out a spillway this afternoon. prim

3. stinkbaitjunkie

stinkbaitjunkie New Member

State:
    North Mississippi
    At my local spillway I do fairly good catching little ones right in the rapids where the water comes out using any kind of bait. To catch bigger ones I usually go down to the calmer water, I try to find a little creek coming off of the main river, If I cant I find any kind of structure there is. I catch the biggest ones on cut bait, and livers mostly. Thats not saying there arent big ones in the rocks, it is just harder to fish there. Hope this little bit of info helps.

4. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    now by spillway, do you mean tailwater or tailrace because a spillway is the section of earth cut out around the top of a dam just in case the water gets so high it has to be diverted around the dam. now tailwaters are actually one of the best places to catch cats. the continual current usually keeps baitfish abundant and thats what those cats want! i would check out every tailwater i could. great places to catch em.

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have caught some fine cats in a trailway:big_smile:

6. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have caught some pretty nice fish out of spillways. I have found it is best to fish in a current break. Good luck!!

7. Cat Bait

Cat Bait New Member

State:
    Canada
    i have caught a few good cats at the big dams and spill ways but none of them were over 35 inches i mean i'm no pro so could someone give me a few pointers it would be great :smile2: