spillways washout holes,

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Jun 28, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    so i got a new hole, in a spillway, its a overflow dam, under neath its got a ten foot deep troth washout hole, the flatheads pack in there, it runs all the way across the bottem of the dam, wen i cast out i cast in the troth, ,,,,,now here the problem, wen i hook one, it does what a flathead normaly does cling to the bottem, so i got to get it over that ten foot ledge, the biiger ones get hung up , due to me triyng to lift them up, , out of that drop of,, any advice how to rase a big one over the washout hole,i cant go to the side, due to the way the dam is built, so , i need a way to get it out of that troth, without it snaging up un, the rebar thats on it,ill post a pic of the dam tommaro or monday give you a better idea of what i mean

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,d go with a heavier rod brother.7 ft boat rod with 80-120 lb braid,get em coming towards you in the first 5 seconds.Fishing around any kind of snags,the first few seconds are when you,re gonna win or lose the fight.IMO.:wink:

3. Brad30110

Brad30110 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Can you move down river and cast into it and pull them down river? Or gotta upgrade to some heavier line and work the muscles abit.

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    no, its a hard thing to explain without showing ou a picter of it,ill try to find one

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ok, this aint my dam, but its the same type, see were the white water is, theres a ten foot troth you cant see underneath that that runs ll the way acrost it, its about 15 foot wide,,,,see that you cant get over by it heres the pic, like i say its not my dam but the sam typ, due to the way its built, the flatheads are in that troth, and wen you hook in a big boy, it wont horse up out of there, what it does is you drag it to the corner of the wall and its stuck there,and , then its over, if you dont rase it out, but how can you, if your not over it

Attached Files:

6. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    What type of hook and sinker rig are you using?

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im using the 3 way with the gamma 9 ot octo j hooks with 65 pound test

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    his is my dam, see the wall on the right, thats were the tenn foot drop off concreat hole is, that i cant horse them out of alot heres the picter

Attached Files:

9. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I see what your saying. What I would do is throw your bait out then walk your pole down river as much as possible to keep from pulling them into the snag. But when you get a bite you better have a short heavy action rod that with heavy line and a very heavy drag. Cause you need to get them out of that as soon as you feel the fishes wieght. Get on him hard before he knows he,s hooked.

10. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I know some lowheads are hard to fish because your bait gets caught in the death twirl and it gets stuck or looped around a rock right from the get go. At that point you are screwed. It doesn't matter if a fish bites or not.

Maybe you get real good with bobbers? Balloons? They'll come up to feed at some point. Sometimes there's a rebar or a cable you just have to avoid. Any time your line seems to move towards a certain place and not come back, you've just got to learn to avoid.

11. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    On your 3 way are you using a lite lb test dropper line? I'm just trying to rule out you getting your sinker hung up.

12. hereflattieflattie

hereflattieflattie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Slikk, The only think I can think of is to get a short heavy action baitcast rig with 100lb test or something that you can literally lift those fish up off the bottom to get them over the ledge. I would bet there are tons of snags since they rebar the concrete together and there are probably alot of chunks taken out of the concrete exposing the rebar. It might be darn near close to impossible to get a bugun out of there unless you can horse him up over that stuff. Looks like a real good spot though.

13. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    either a boat would be nice or a stiff rod and heavy 80+ pound braid

14. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Thats what I would have suggested. Hard and fast. If your gonna lose him anyway Jake, dont be affraid to break your line. Lock that drag down and drag his big ass up outta there. The sooner you get his head up to the top of the water the better chance you have of landing him. Good luck. :cool2:

15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i dont think its something anybody can tell me, ill just try a few things, i might play him out deep, then by the time hes worn out, ill walk him down along the bank at a differant angle, thanks for the advice brose ill figer it out,its a local thing realy, i just would like to see whats under there, its a huge troth thats seperated in three holes, from what im told, wen they drain it this fall ill find out,they drain it every year its, a wererd spillway, ill take some pics of it tomarrow, thers a lowhead dam farther down,so them big flats come over and there stacked in there