Spillway Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by hereflattieflattie, Jun 13, 2009.

1. hereflattieflattie

hereflattieflattie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have found one thing out over the years about Flathead in spillways and below dams. I saw a post talking about it a while back and here is what I have learned. If the spillway has current breakers the flats will hold right up against those concrete breakers even if the water seems so fast that it is unfishable. I fish a couple of spillways alot in kansas in may and june when they are releasing alot of water. If you can get away with using 12-20 oz of lead and get your bait to sit in that strong current right below those breakers, you will have a good chance of hooking into one. Most spillways have concrete blocks that break the current near the bottom so the fast water doesn't scour out the bottom downstream. I caught a 62 pounder last may at Pomona doing that. it took me several casts to get the rig to catch bottom and hold the first time I tried it and within 20 minutes, I caught a 62. I have caught quite a few between 15 and 40 since then too. Not to mention one that took me all the way down the river and broke me off. The only reason I ever figured it out was when I saw snaggers get up on top of the spillway walls and waylay Flathead illegally right in the strong current.

2. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Thanks for the info Steve and welcome to the BOC.:wink:

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

If your willing to fish around the junk that,s down there,it can be great.Just like you said,a lot of people wouldn,t think they,d be up there.you just gotta find them little ledges down there.:big_smile: WELCOME to the BOC Steve!:wink:

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    its a great area but they wont run they mouth the bait, were im at

5. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Good post Steve welcome to the boc:wink:

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i like dams but in my case i bounce my bait infont of them, they dont bolt, in my dams they lay in the rocks, and concreat walls,

7. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Welcome Steve, and congrats on the 62 pounder !

8. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    good information steve! welcome to the BOC!!

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    62 pounder thats a beast, awsom fish bro you beat me by 12 pounds

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    did you get a pic of him if so throw it on bro

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    When I fish below spillways and dams for flats, I use what I call a "suicide rig" because like a suicide mission, the person, in this case the weight, is not coming back. Most folks know them as the 3-way swivel rig. I get snagged on purpose and leave it snagged until a fish pulls it out.

Try using really heavy weight. Don't be afraid to use 6 and even 8 ounces of lead. The water below a spillway/dam might seem to be rippin, but if it's deep, the water at the bottom is is slower and that's what the flatheads like.

Spillways and dams are flatheads favorite summertime haunts. The water below is more oxygenated and there's plenty of prey around.

Good luck!

12. channelin

channelin New Member

State:
    Baldwin City Kansas
    Steve what are the "current breakers" that your talking about? are they underwater or is it the wing walls your talking about? I went to a spillway yesterday and fished right outside the heavy current with some gills and hooked 2 but took me directly into the heavy current and broke me off:sad2: Going to get some heavier line tonight!

13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ARE THEY BOLTING IN YOUR DAMES OR, TUGGING, I NEVER GOT A POLL TO BEND FISHING A DAM, THATS THERE NEST, SO THEY DONT MOVE MUCH