spillway, experts

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Sep 23, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i fish spillways alot, never caught much,were do the flatheads hide wen the waters gushing out also they never run and even if you think you have a bite its always the current , i run the usual flathead rig big weghts and 8,o hooks, i know they stay down there but how can i get them

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i guess theres not alot of spillway fishers in this group, most of you prefer logjams down river, but i have no boat, but ifo on spillway flatheads would be great if you could share what you know

3. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I would suggest asking some regulars where the deepest holes are. Flatties don't like straightline current so holes offer the shelter they prefer. Local bait shops can more than likely give you a good idea, if not theres usually someone that fishes a spillway day in and day out that could help. Another good bet for finding the real deep holes would be to talk to someone who works at the dam. They will know it's infrastructure well.
    I fish spillways allot and they are very hard to fish. Tons of snags and fast current make them double hard to land fish. I've hooked onto some monsters at spillways but something always goes wrong when I'm trying to bring them in, at least so far.
    Sorry I can't offer more, hope this helps.

4. Biluecat

Biluecat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Hey there Jake, Try to find a spot where the current is slowed by any solid structure, this will make a break for the flattie to sit and wait... then cast above him in the current and let out line to the sweet spot.

cut the fin part of the tail off, this wil make the bait less speedy and more attractive, you must hook the bait through the upper jaw to firmly hold it on the hook and will allow it to swim more naturally.

with a little luck he will swim in front of a monster.. Good luck!!!
    :cool2:

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ive almost givin up on dams ive switched to lakes , a 30 pounder is nothing in a lake to bring in

6. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I havn't ever fished a damn for flatties but I read alot of posts. People generally say that spillway/dam fishing is either on or off. When the water goes real low all of a sudden or they open it up all of a sudden either one presents these people a challenge and many of them say they just move downstream in search of structure.

7. armyfisher

armyfisher Member

State:
    georgia
    well from the info i gathered up look for pileons deep swirls if there are some telephone polls up in that area and if the spillway is closed try right at the gates there are normally some holes and crevaces there i gotten some really nice hits never pulled any of them in. now when the gates are open i'll pull in a few channels or blues but nothing really to brag about.

8. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I pulled an all nighter at a spillway last night. I did'nt do any good. From my experience spillways can occasionally offer some good fishing but like everywhere it is hit or miss.