Spill on the Walnut?

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Mr. Foster, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Has anyone heard about a chemical spill or such on the Walnut? I was South of Douglas Monday evening crossing a old steel bridge and jus looking around, and I noticed an odor and then I saw the water had that raibow color all over it, oil looking. It pretty much was everywhere. Then on Friday I saw a bunch of foam and froth here in Winfield. Hopefully it isnt something bad, and someone knows what the situation is. Curious if any you guys/gals have heard anything?

2. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Please contact the KDWP (Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks) not the Kansas Health Deptartment with anything like that out of the ordinary. They might not follow up on it but it would be better if they did than the Health Department.

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I experienced the same problem down here in my local lake, it's a chemical that self-develops in the water.. not known to hurt or kill fish.. just they say while its there DO NOT eat the fish.. release them after photos. I caught a couple bass and a shellcracker when it was like that. Nothing to worry bout just dont eat the fish till it clears up. Hope this helps.:wink:

4. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    AJ it smelled like diesel fuel. So thats why I was concerned.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well if your conserned contact kdwp and let um know it may be something they dont know about.

6. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    It doesn't take much of a spill of diesel fuel to get that rainbow sheen on
    the water's surface. The oil spreads out on top the water to just a few
    molecules thick so a gallon or two can spread to acres of surface area.
    Let's hope it's just a small gascan full that dropped into the water after
    bouncing out of a pickup truck...The river can clean that out pretty quick.

7. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    There is a lot of production between Augusta and Douglas. Somebody might have left a valve open or hit a line while digging. At any rate it needs to be reported to the KDHE and KDWP.

8. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    There are also a LOT of irrigation pumps in that stretch of river Calvin is talking about, some of them farmers aren't real careful when it comes to fueling them, and handling the fuel and or oil in the pump motors. Like it was mentioned above, wouldn't take a lot of oil or diesel fuel spilled down the bank to make a mess.

9. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    ive heard that one u.s quart of oil will cantamenate 250000 gallons of water:embarassed: