Spiderwire XXX mono - I think it stinks! Has anyone else ever used it?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by barbel, May 19, 2006.

1. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Well, I had some of this left over from a bass outfit that I had, so I decided to put it on one of my cat rigs. 14 pound test, and I have been using it in the creek by my house. I hate this stuff. For one thing, its almost elastic it stretches so much. For another, it takes about 6 pounds of pressure to break off the stuff, which is supposed to be 14 pound test. Maybe I got a bad bunch of it, but I cant catch fish with it, and I dont recommend it to anyone. What do you all think?

2. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i've used it and personally i like it. i know some really dont but its never broke me off or stretched too much for me. im not preachin it on you though just go with what works for you best. i've only used it for catfishing one time and it did ok on the eatin sized channels we were catchin

3. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I bought some to use as backing for the Spiderwire braid that I'm putting on my new reels, so I can't really give a review for regular usage.

Barbel, I wonder if what you were using was the old version of the XXX mono.
    Spiderwire has a new "extra tough" version of the XXX that I bought. It costs a couple more dollars than the other.

4. Derick

Derick New Member

State:
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    i had the super xxx 12 lbs on one of my bass fishing rods, im not sure if thats supose to be the ultra tough version, but the stuff stunk, i had the same problem with line breaks, and believe me, i wasnt catching any monsters. two ants playing tug of war could break this junk.

5. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Used it, hated it, will never use it again. Sent the company a very nasty letter about their product, and they sent me a coupon for some more of it for free. Needless to say, that coupon helped me start a fire one night while fishing:lol:

6. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I use it on my cane pole, works great, don't think I would want it on a reel.

7. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I believe Spider Wire braid is good. The new Stealth is even better. As far as mono is concerned however, the Spiderwire guys should stick to what they know best. Their mono is junk. JMHO

whatever it takes

Cheez

8. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Yes, I feel this same way too. I think that the spiderwire braid does just fine, and the stealth is great. I like to use lighter stuff for my ultralight outfits, and I have 65 pound test original on my bass outfit.

9. LarryE

LarryE New Member

State:
    KY
    I use the 50# mono on one of my rods and 50# braided on another.. I like the mono a little better because it's easier to change hooks and such but the braided is good because it doesn't retain memory

10. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    all i use is spider wire mono in 17 pound i have snaged up on logs in the lake and have had to resort to using a knife to break the stuff. i like it will will always use it. you may of got a bad batch i dont know but for me it works.

11. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I probably wasn't being totally fair w/Spiderwire mono as all I have used is the 6# through the 12#. Maybe the heavier line is better.

whatever it takes

Cheez