SpiderWire Braided 30# Stealth

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Bull72chvy, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Bull72chvy

Bull72chvy New Member

State:
    Albany,Ohio
    Howdy All,

I love the new look!I just got some of this Spiderwire,tried it lastnight.I really like it.It was very sensitive and functioned well,although I only caught a small one one it.I was impressed with how smooth it cast.I used a palamar knot as suggested by them,to prevent untying since it is teflon coated.It claims it wont stretch,reduces backlashing,whip-knotting,and wont cut rod guides.Although,it is possible for it to frey.I wondered if anyone has had any success with it ?I have read the post on cajun red and it does seem popular.I am courious about the diameter when you get in 30# range.This S.W.is the same diameter as 8# test.I can get 140 yards of it on my reel.It was only around 10 bucks for a 150
    yards.Well,enough said,like to haer some feedback,thanks Jon

2. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    Jon, I use the 80 pound Stealth, it has the diameter of 17 pound test. It does reduce backlashes alot. You will still get a tangle but it is not as bad and you can pull it out in just a couple of seconds. The only complaint I have with it is when you hook a decent sized fish the line on the spool will embed it self from the tension. When you cast out after a big fish it will hang up a bit but once you have let out a little line it will be back to normal. I use a 30 pound leader on my set-ups in case I get snagged. You can use a stick and wrap the line around it to pull and break the line if you need to(so it wont cut your hands). Hope this helps and good luck with the new line.

Kevin

3. Nate

Nate New Member

State:
    OH - IO
    Does the Stealth float? That was my one gripe about Fusion when they made it, as well as Power Pro.

4. Bull72chvy

Bull72chvy New Member

State:
    Albany,Ohio
    Well,as far as floating,havent had any problem with it,of course I tightline with about 2ounces of weight .so there is no floating going on as far as I know.

5. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    There is no "perfect" line. They all have some negative features. That said,if I had to go into the wilderness with only one line it would be Spider Wire Stealth. It is stronger than strong,more sensitive than any mono and the best part is that it will outlast any mono 3 to 1. I also believe it to be equal to Power Pro at a slightly lower price. I put 100# SW on my new Penn 320 GT2. This stuff is a cable. My trolling motor won't even begin to break it. I don't believe there is a catfish alive (at least in this country) that is any match for it.
    If I had to give a negative report on it it would be that you lose 5 to 10 minutes breaking it when you get hung up.

whatever it takes

Cheez

6. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    My thing with spider wire is this twice I have spooled it on my poles and twice I regretted it. SPider wire while super strong at first quickly becomes frayed and touchy.

Basicly in short I believe it is top line for about the first 3-7 trips out with it then it quickly turns on a downhill slide.

7. Skrod

Skrod New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I found about the same thing with SpiderWire -- good stuff, but frayed easily. I then moved to Stren Superbraid, which is really nice and round, and doesn't fray or screw up so much, but is touch if it slices across sharp rocks or rough concrete.

I've moved to Berkley FireLine 30#, and this stuff is peculiar, and much tougher overall -- doesn't like to fray, and can rub across things repeatedly with no apparent damage. Much longer wearing overall, and casts better, too. Also not so floppy, and is easier to tie knots in.

Just my 0.02.

Kevin

8. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I tried this Spider Wire Stealth and it is a strong line but frayed easily. I will stay with power pro for now.

9. Nate

Nate New Member

State:
    OH - IO
    I'm with Skrod on this one. Fireline is far more durable and doesn't fray like most of the braids do. The new Fireline XDS is supposed to be even better. I have yet to try it though.

10. Bull72chvy

Bull72chvy New Member

State:
    Albany,Ohio
    What exactly do you guys mean by touchy line?

11. Bull72chvy

Bull72chvy New Member

State:
    Albany,Ohio
    Well, I was in backlash hell this evening.I was doing some Bass fishing Yes I know wrong site...anyways I was casting out a couple of different lures,rattletrap,artificial minnow soft bait,etc...it went way wrong the spiderwire braided 30# stealth it totally turned on me and sent me straight to backlash hell..on a spinning reel too.The first one I was able to untangle but the braided line really tightened up quick.The second was a total mess ,no undoing it at all.It is only the second time I used it but the first time with lures if thats whats made the difference I dont know but I never had this trouble I mean never with mono.The reason I tried the braided was I was having trouble with stretching and twisting up of the line and I wanted to upgrade to a 30# or more and still have the small diameter.Well Im totally bumed out with it.So,Im at a dilema,I want the strenght of 30# or more the diameter of 12# or less,no backlashing,stretching,twisting.If anyone has suggestions please post,for my fishing has been interupted by the line demons.Thanks,Jon

EDITED BY TIMOTH7 BOC STAFF

12. 98custom

98custom New Member

State:
    Northwest Flori
    When you guys use abraided line that has a diameter of 8lb is that okay to put on larger reels (average catfish reels) which normally hold lines 14lb and up? I know that you could really fill your spool up.

13. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I have had terrible luck with Spiderwire. I bought and spooled up 60 lb spiderwire on my favorite reel. I had a total of 5 runs with it, and everytime it has been cut off. Needless to say, I took it off after that, and havent used it since.
    The upside.... I have found it was very easy to get backlashes out with the stuff....much easier than mono.

14. dmc888

dmc888 New Member

State:
    Lake in the hills, IL
    That must be some big bass. :) Could give Fireline a try . Spiderwire can be quite frustrating. Couldn't wait to take it off. The easiest line to tangle that i have tried. Fireline doesn't embed itself if you set the hook or even if you snag it. Pretty stiff line so its harder to tangle. I like to use the triline knot with fireline.

I use the 14lb and 30lb. The 14 casts great and works fine with bass fishing. I use my 30lb on my 10ft kingkat so i can't tell you how it is for bass fishing. But the diameter is 12lbs.

Fireline is all i use now.

15. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I used to use the spiderwire but ended up having bad luck with it. If you dont get it wound up extremely tight on the reel, all the line will loose grip on the spool and it wont reel in at all. I will stick with my berkley big game, you can get 1760 yards of 30# test for $23.

16. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Looks like I'm odd man out...
    I've been using spider wire for years on Spinning reels. I love it.. I never had a reason to try anything else.... (Yet).
    I do know what you guys mean about it imbedding (sp?) itself, But if you spool it really tight seems to eliminate the imbedding. The one time it can get troublesome is if you overload your reel.
    just my opinion.

17. Marshallmth

Marshallmth New Member

State:
    Dayton Ohio Area
    I have also been using Spider brand line, I love it. It seems that I had to learn to spool it on tighter than other lines, but it is great. I am currently using the Spider Fusion line, and it is pretty good. I think I am hooked on the Spider brand, and will probably stay with it.

18. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    I can't stand braided line. The one time I used it it frayed on me and I got a treble hook stuck in my line. Only option then is to cut the line. Another thing i don't like about it is it gets difficult to cut with nail clippers and I always carry my nail clippers when fishing to cut my line close.

19. Marshallmth

Marshallmth New Member

State:
    Dayton Ohio Area
    I agree on its toughness on nail clippers. Infact it pretty much ruins them really fast. I always carry a pin tourch with me, and thats how I cut/burn through it.

20. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm not a fan of braided line, for the spots we fish in the river. I hate the stuff in rocky areas. I've tried Reg Spider Wire, Spider Wire Stealth, Power Pro, etc....

I was not a fan of the Spider Wire Stealth. It seemed to fray & imbed in the line spool the worse, but the fraying part is porbally due to the veyr rough spots I fish.