Spiderwire and Fishing reel type?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by tat_n_trapper, Feb 5, 2006.

1. tat_n_trapper

tat_n_trapper New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    is there a better type of reel to use with spiderwire? I have never used spiderwire because I heard that it birdnests easily on a spinning reel. I am switching to a baitcaster and was wondering if it work better?

2. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    They do make reels just for spiderwire usage, you might be able to get on there site and see the reels they recommend.

3. tat_n_trapper

tat_n_trapper New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    thanks, I didn't think of that

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I use 65# spirewire on all my abu 5500 & 6500 baitcast reels

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I just got back from a month in Fl.,did a lot of salt and freshwater fishing.

I took a brand new Penn and Shimano spinning reel and loaded one with spiderwire and one with power pro.After a week I switched the line on the reels.The spiderwire ended in the trash and the power pro is now on both.

The only problem I had with birdnests,or tangles,is when I let a loop get in it by not paying attention.This happened when I was drifting a float,and not retrieving under tension.

A few times I had to cut the line,but most times it was pretty easy to untangle.

I haven't had any problem with the line cutting into the reel roller(bail)

Hope this helps

6. Marshallmth

Marshallmth New Member

State:
    Dayton Ohio Area
    I bought the "Trantula" reel and it sucks really bad. It has the anti reverse, but it works only somtimes,and I also noticed that when I reel in, it grinds really hard.