Spider Wire

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by strictly catfish, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Brothers,

Tomorrow I am going to line-up my new Catfish Safari rod and Abu 6500tccf reel and I was thinking of spooling up with 50lb. Spider Wire braid.
    This will be the first braid I have ever used and the first line on a virgin rod and reel.
    If this is a good line to purchase please give me some advice.
    Thank you for your opinion and tight lines and bent poles.

2. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I haven't used the stuff, but, in general, the folks on the board recommend putting in a backing layer of monofilament before you put the braid on the reel. The other bit of advice is to bring along a 2' section of broom handle. If you get hung up, wrap the line around the handle and pull to unsnag. If you attempt to force things out with just the rod, you can break the rod.

-- Rich

3. How much mono and do you just tie it with a clinch knot?
    Thank you for the help.

sTRICTLY Catfish

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I've got the exact line you are talking about on one of my rods. It's good line. But before you cast with any braided line wet it first or it could blister your thumb.

5. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    thats what i use

6. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    If I were you I'd try to go with PowerPro instead. I think it's much better than Spider Wire, and I'm sure many people on here would agree.

Whichever you choose, here's a tip for you. Take a spare spool to the reel, and line it up with the braid, put on the Mono, then tie the mono to the other spool and take it from that reel to the other, that way you'll have the perfect fit.

7. LaBlueHunter

LaBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    i use 30-100 pound spider wire stealth in my apinion best braid on the market have used a couple others the power pro i used would break on a hook snap so i consider power pro junk i have some i bought thats made by big game i havent tryed it yet i bought it for my shark rigs its 100# test 30# diamiter looks good on the spool just havent fished it yet

8. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I'll have to let someone else answer that; I haven't used braid myself.

-- Rich

9. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
  10. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If I am drifting I still use mono for it. If I am anchored and fishing brush piles for flatheads I use braided line, 130 lb test, your choice.
    To break braided lines wrap them around reel or use the stick, pull straight on, no bend in rod and do it quickly, means jerk hard now lol. do not pull on line on reel it will cut and tangle wayyy beyond repair.
    Circle hooks for me and the smaller the diameter of the line, the easier to get deep and get them bigguns.
    keep them lines wet