Spider Wire fishing line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Catmaster, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I like to use anywhere from 30-40 pound braided spiderwire on most of my bigger cat reels and I have noticed that It is incredibly strong and it is not as visable as you would think it would for 30-50 pound line I have always had very good luck with it. Does anyone think the same or have any flaws that they do not like about the line?

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've heard it fuzzes up a bit. On the other hand, Bass Pro has the 125 yard spools of Original Spider Wire braid on sale for about $10. Good price, so what's a little fuzz?

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    If it works for you, that's great.

I had 30 pound spider wire on one rod for a while. Twice it broke like sewing thread on good cats. I took it off and threw it away. I won't ever buy spiderwire again.

4. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I have a tendency to try everything and most lines I use them until they are wore out and then change them out. I personally didn't like the original spider wire. I took it off and threw it in the trash. I like Power Pro. I bought two boxes of 65 lb today. Can't say more.

5. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    ive hered that it will tear groves in your ilets. but i dont kno if it is true of not.

6. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    i had it once and i had a good fish on with it (spinning reel) and it bound up so tight on the reel that i had to cut it off, as bad as a backlash, i'll stick with my mono

7. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Definitely don't like the Stealth type here. I fish alot of rocky water here and it did not do very well in that area. I was using the 30lb test.

8. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    i have two buddies that used it one just kept breaking line very easy on 50lb test and the other couldnt break the line but it broke a heavy med 8' rod eagle claw they both went back to mono cajun red and love it

9. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I've had better luck with Power Pro,just my own experince.

10. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I use it on all my gear. I have the EZ which is a MONO. I like it just fine. I have never broke it on a fish but I did break a st.croix rod with it once on a hangup. It is not to pricey but I am sure there are better deals.

11. fishallday927

fishallday927 New Member

State:
    illinois
    the spiderwire isTOUGH but i like the feel of mono before i break the line so i kno when to ease up vie tried it i like it but im not too into braid i like stren 15 lb mono but thats me

12. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Last summer I had one reel with Spider Wire Stealth and one with Power Pro. After a week of fishing both, I took off the Spider Wire, in favor of the Power Pro. The Spider wire seemed to imbed it's self way more than the Power Pro and Power Pro seemed to cast 10 - 15 percent further. The Power Pro backlashed less and was a snap to untangle.

I now have Power Pro on 6 (3-4600 C3, 3-5500 C3) Ambassadeurs and 6 Penns (2-Model 9, 3-Model 209, and 1 Model 350). I have tried Power Pro on Zebco 33's and 11 ultra light with no luck what so ever. Power Pro does not seem to like spincast. Have not tried it on a spinning reel. Gave all my spinning reels to my older son.

13. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    don't like it and it does cut up your eyelets.

14. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I was fishing with a fellow last fall who hooked and landed a shark over five foot long using a spinning outfit with 12 lb. Spider Wire Stealth.Took 2 hours but the line held up until he landed it.I don't use it as I tend to change line often and it is much higher priced than mono and don't take abuse well from sand and rocks.
    Jake

15. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I switched from spider wire to power pro and I like it better.

16. frymire

frymire New Member

State:
    texas
    spider wire snaps toooo easy,, use power pro doesn't brake and won't hurt guides. it will fade its color, no biggy

17. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I have used the original spiderwire one time right after it first came out. i tied a polomar knot on a spinner bait (was bass fishin at the time) cast it out, got a bite, snapped the line, lost my spinner bait, and about 3 feet from the boat a 2 lbs bass jumped up and shook his head. all you could hear were spinner bait blades clacking together. little bass had that spniiner bait hooked in him and no wait for me to get it out. that was 20 lbs test. never touched it since. i have tried fireline, but found it way to stiff for me. its like reeling in bailing wire. i am thinking of going back to braid though.

18. g.kempf

g.kempf New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have the spider wire 50lb on one of my bass rigs for fishing in heavy moss and weedy areas I have yet to break it. I know that it cuts real easy if you fishing by rocks. And the older stuff would really cut up your guides I have the new stuff and my guides arent cut up yet. But I will tell you that on my flathead rigs I will only use power pro, that's cause I've used it snagging and reeled in some large fish and I know what it's cappable of.

The genrall rule for braided is use twice the pound test that you would if you were using mono.

19. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    when it first came out i tried spider wire on my ,dont hollar,bass reel. every time i hooked a fish ,on the next cast ,it would backlash.after about 2 hours i took it off.ive started fishing a spot where i have out about 100 to 130 yards of line.had 12 or 15 takers couldnt get a hook set in one.i switched to 65 lb.powerpro and out of 11 bites ive caught 9 fish.the 2 i lost got in some old steel cable thats in the water and cut me off.powerpro and circle hooks on long line works great.