Spider rigging

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Windman, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Windman

Windman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Been crappie fishing for a number of years now, but never tried spider rigging. I know most tournaments are won this way, so was wonder what basic equipment is needed (have the boat :wink:) and methods is most efficent.

Thanks in advance

2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    is that anything like tandem rigs?

3. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    its funny you ask that, i just started readin up on it myself. i guess the main thing is you got about or atleast 6 to 8 poles, could be as many as you could handle, and you rig em up with different jigs, minnows, at different depths and either drift, or troll up and down the lake while troubleshooting your speed and when you figure out the preferred depth, and bait, you rig all your other poles to the same. i guess its called spider rigging because it looks like spider legs comin off your boat.

4. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    so spider rigs is mutipul poles?

5. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    i guess if you really want the boiled down explanation, youre pretty much right, just a bunch of poles in the water at the same time. you cover a LOT of ground and trouble shooting doin it that way.

6. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    i guess the three main things you need are.

-atleast 8 preferrably 10ft poles
    -trolling motor
    -rod holders mounted equal spacing on the front or back of your boat close to you or your fishin partner
    -depth/fishfinder

that simple.:smile2:

7. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
  8. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    We have trolled like this and have also kind of modified it a few times by using dipsey divers and jets.( like walleye trolling on Erie) The divers make it a lot easier in states like Ky where you can use a lot of poles. Have caught fish both ways but it is really just not my way of fishing.

9. Windman

Windman New Member

State:
    Missouri

10. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    the first thing is to just try it with a few rods around the house to see if you like it before putting any money into it but we have placed in many crappie tournies spider rigging we can fish up to 16 rods out the front with our t bars and 8 out the back but all that isnt necessary. what you really need is a tbar with at least 4 holders on it there are several differant rigs but you can look up pics on the net for some idea. 8 foot rods are a minumum but we actually use up to 16 foor rods our smallest are either 10 or twelve cant remember. a cable drive foot control trolling motor works best but any bow mount trolling motor will work. and a depth finder up front is a must so you can find structure and follow the channels and what not. i like to spider rig over brush piles for the most part. just use a carolina rig with a much smaller weight and a minnow on a small hook. if you have any questions just pm me and ill try to tell you what you wanna know and if i can find some pics of how we do it ill show you

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kim Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. You will find spider rigging to be very productive. You have received some good suggestions on equipments, methods and etc. I would suggest you start out with a few rods and add according to state laws. One of the first problems you will run into is when the middle rods go down with fish on them and you have to move them to the outside to land fish without tangling all the other rods up. Another problem will be on keeping your eye on the depth finder so that you can keep the reels properly adjusted.. You will want to experiment with jigs and minnows until the fish show which they prefer that day. Take your time and don't get discouraged. When you get the hang of it, you will love it.

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Another welcome to the BOC Kim.

13. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Wow, that's too much work! LOL :smile2:

We're limited to two rods per person here in PA, so to do this we would need, A. A boat full of little kids (ohh good God no), or B. A REALLY big boat!

Of course throwing a small shiner (minnow) under a bobber at some brush always worked well for crappie.