Spider Hitch Double Leader Rig for Catfishing

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Netmanjack, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Spider Hitch Double Leader Rig

This is an old knot that I haven’t seen used in fresh water very often. And it’s a perfect fit for that river or lake catfishing rig where you may encounter heavy cover. Its purpose is to make a double leader line twice the strength of your main line. It is suggested that it is not practical with line over 30#, but with today’s thinner diameters I wouldn’t be afraid to try up to 50# line. I tested it with 30# monofilament line, resulting in a 60# leader with very good success. Having run many pull tests with my digital scale, I had consistent results of no failures with the Spider hitch or the double snell. Only the main line broke with a slightly higher number than it’s rated poundage. This rig allows you the freedom of any leader length, doubled strength, easy knots and no extra hardware except for a small bead to protect the Spider hitch from your sliding weight. All this is made from your single standing line with no cutting. If one side of your doubled leader should break for what ever reason, say a rock or abrasion of a catfish mouth, you will still have the other line at its original strength.

[​IMG]

To tie a Spider Hitch:

1. Double your line as long as you want your leader to be,
    make a small reverse loop near the tag end, out of both lines.

[​IMG]

2. Hold the small loop with your thumb and forefinger making sure your thumb extends beyond your finger with the loop extending past your thumb.

[​IMG]

3. Next wind your doubled line around your thumb and the doubled loop
    five times then pass it through the small loop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Now simply pull the five wraps off of your thumb and on to the leader,
    pull gently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Now wet your knot and with even pressure pull knot tight.

Congratulations you now have a finished Spider Hitch.

[​IMG]

You can attach your hook any number of ways, but I would suggest this doubled snell. The advantage being that your hook will always hang straight from the knot giving you better over all odds of a good hook set. Resist the urge to slip the loop through your hook eye for an easy on easy off type of attachment, this will result in the loss of your doubled strength.

To tie a double snell:

1. Pass your double leader through the barb side of your hook eye; this will help with your hook set.

[​IMG]

2. Make a loop about the length of the hook shank, bring it back and hold both lines under your thumb

[​IMG]

3. Bring the end of the doubled line through the loop, this creates (6 times) starting from the eye and working down to the bend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Holding on to the small looped end and hook, draw the snell tight buy pulling on the leader line.

[​IMG]

You did it! And with out cutting any line. Until you get a little practice, your tag end loop may come in various sizes, but don’t worry it wont hurt a thing.

Good Fishing