Spider Bites.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Dano, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    thought I would see what others have done when bitten by a spider. maybe what their Doctor did. What they went through as for as being sick from it.
    I notice my spider bite on my belly , I guess last Thursday but I had started getting a little sick the day before. So I 'm not real sure when it happen. Thursday it looked like a chigger bite. That night it got bigger. Friday, black spot almost size of a dime , surrounded by red infection and hurt like heck. I went to doc. He wasn't in so I saw his P.A. which is
    like a Doc from what I'm told.

She thinks it was a Brown Recluse , or Black widow, also said it could have been any number of spiders . ( I have been exposed to mostly Brown Recluse and Black widows.) .Said they dont like to cut it out now days if can keep from it but its a possibility if it doesn't heal . Gave me strong pain pills and some Anti Bodices. Also said it would get worse before better and give it a few days , if no change call them. . I'm as sick as a dog
    with rabies.
    I have been in much pain. the bite is bigger, the red circle is bigger. My ribs feel broke, belly hard as a rock and hurts anywhere i touch it. head hurts, neck, legs ,back all stiff . Throat swelling Been throwing up with no warning. haven't eaten but a few bites of food since Friday. 102.5
    temp. Dang thing is kicking my butt.
    I dont like pain pills . They make my mind confused/bad mood . hang over effect on me and I dont need help on that. LOL. But with out them, I can hardly move. Plus I have had 7 surgeries and everytime I'm sick, it makes each one hurt. I also got red bumps popping up all over me. Like the after shock of the bite. looks like pimples and they hurt like the bite itself. Its like a bad case of the flu or something.

I would have thought the Doctors office would give me a shot, maybe lance the bite and suck out the poison, even a blood test to see whats up. I'm not getting better but they did say it would get worse before better. It has crossed my mind to use my snake bite kit on it to suck out the poison. :crazy:
    A friend of mine just left and said, he was sick for a week before going to Doc on spider bite, they gave him a shot and lance it . next day he felt much better after they sucked out the poison but he knew for sure it was a Black widow that got him..
    I dont like going to the doctors office. They beat around the bush too much. I like to get r done and over with in first visit. Cheaper and to the point .

Anyway I was wondering
    Anyone here ever been bitten by a spider , if so, how did it effect you. This is a first for me

I got to get over this quick, by the end of the week at the latest. I got irons in the fire that I cant put off.

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Im a wuss I wouldve been the emergancy room at the onset of the dime sized black spot surrounded by the inflamation. I would tell them Im not leaving till you either cut this out and give me some drugs or in a body bag LOL

3. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    I got bit one time walking through Walmart, down the main isle....I knew it was a spider when it hit me. Felt like a yellow jacket when it bit me..I guess it dropped from the ceiling.

by the time I got home it was black in the center then red around it. I waited till the next morning and was going to go to the doctor, but the red had started receding by then and the black part was fading, so I waited it out and it went away, with no sloughing.

Brown recluse will slough through the muscle if not treated quickly though. My brother has a hole beside his ankle you can put the joint of a finger in, and says he never KNEW when he got bit but by the time he went to the doctor the sloughing of the tissue had started so they had to treat symptoms, this was several years ago, though. left a terrible place on him as I said. you can't see where mine even was.

Brown recluse are everywhere, and easily identifiable as they have what looks like a violin on their back.

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    That sounds like a black widow bite and you should go to the EM. room with the throat swelling it can close up and you would choke to death. A brown recluse bite is a little bump and the next day a puss pocket with infection and it hurts I have been bitten three times and never been sick with it but the black widow is a different story. Goggle it and you will see what I'm talking about.

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Definently get immediate medical attention Dan. Don't beat around the bush!! It the throat is swelling, that can be serious!:eek:oooh: Get help now!!

6. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Dan, I agree with Harold. Your symptoms definitely sound more like a Black Widow. Let us know what the Doc thinks.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I just called 911. They should be there real soon. Get medical attention NOW!!!!!!

8. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Dan, I'd get to an emergency room. They will be better equipped to handle a bad bite and the sooner they can start treating you the better off. I would think you may need some stronger intervenous antibiotics and maybe even somekind of antivenon. Nothing to play around with if it's hitting you as hard as it seems to be.

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Weekend before last i got bite twice. Once on the left knee and once on the lower right calf. They drained awful lookin mess for a day or so, swelled up pretty tite and turned red. I didn't go to a Dr. and after a day or three the swelling went down and the redness slowly went away. I ain't got a clue what bite me but i don't want no more of it.:confused2::confused2::confused2: neighbor said it was prolly a hanging spider and like a fool i ask whats that,,,"you know, the kind that hangs around.:smile2: Anyway, i hope yours gets better soon. A man don't feel good when he's sick.

10. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    J.C. Thanks for the 911 call. I'll be ready for them in a couple days . I'm thinking thats
    how long it will take them to get here from Mo. LOL
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do have meds to take I was given Friday. I didn't realize it would get this bad when they
    said it would get worse before better. Actually the PA I saw said if I had breathing or
    heart attack like symptoms to call or go to ER.

I was hopeing to give it one more night then I'm call my Doctor for a return visit and do what ryan said. Get it out of me.
    I can still breath ok. its the hurting all over that , well, hurts. If it changed for the worse, I cant breath or something. Which my wife would definitely wake up if the room was quite. She says I snore.
    I'm bout 4 miles from ER. I'm sure my wife would be happy to cut my throat and put a straw in it so I could breath on the way, if it got to that point. LOL.

Thanks for the input.

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Throat swelling is an allergic reaction. I wouldn't mess around Dan, I would seek help immediately if I were you. If you decide not to go to the ER...keep typing, so we know you are alive. Seriously...I hope you are OK! If you have any benadryl, at least take some of that.

12. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know 2 people that were seriously affected by spider bites. My cousin, and a good buddy of mine. both were recluse spiders. "Donny" faired much better than "Bill". Donny had to have outpatient I.V. treatments daily with antibiotics for a month. Bill was admitted into the hospital and had to have blood transfufions daily for a period of time, and then the daily I.V. anti biotic treatments. Bill was in the hospital for 3 months, and it took him over a year to completely recover. Bill was bitten twice by the same spider or by 2 of them, and did'nt see a doctor right away. both of the men had to have large areas of tissue removed to stop the spread. Keep in close contact with your doctor. My best friend got bitten on a jobsite this year. I showed him pictures and told him how serious it could turn out. (I had to, to get him to a doctor) he went and it turned out o-k because they caught it early. Spider bites are very serious. I never knew that they could be so terrible. Our climate this year has made for perfect living enviroments for spiders. there's gonna be a lot of them. so everyone be aware of the dangers of spider bites. I'm enclosing a link to a site that has some pictures of the spiders and thier bites. I was already thinking of posting something on this, because I've heard of so many people getting bitten this year. http://www.ascendedhealth.com/brown-recluse/bite-picture.htm

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'd go with Ryan's advice. I don't trust Nurse Practitioners for critical issues.
    Hope you're OK.

14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Hopefully you've already went to the hospital Dano! With all those symptoms and as bad as they sound you'd be better off with hospital treatment ASAP! Hope all goes well and you recover soon.
    I also agree with Dayton, I wouldn't trust the PA on something this serious!!!

15. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I got bit about 10yrs ago under the armpit:eek:oooh: The little @#$%$#@ got me when i was asleep....Long story-short it aint good all everyone has said so far applies...I swelled to base-ball size then got ugly:eek:oooh: couldnt breath hurt starting to deteriorate...etc...go to the hospital..NOW not tomorrow or thursday or maybe friday when i got time..NOW..It can be treated it hurts like hell but they can help....the longer ya wait the worse it gets:eek:oooh:

16. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Dano i got bit in july with a brown racluse get to the er thay toled me whean i was thear that it was a sereus thing and if it did get wors to get right back to theam thay did blood test every thing put me on two diff antibiotics mine was on my right arm dont keep puting it off go its not something to play around with

17. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    benadryl is one of the meds I started yesterday on top of what they gave me. .
    I almost went to ER last night about 3am. Ended up at Doctors office at 9 am this morning. Dayton is right, Nurse Practitioners ( PA is what they called them here ) are not even close to a real Doctor. Being last mintue on my appointment this morning , I saw the PA again. It was out of her hands. Doc came in, ran blood test, Said it was definitely a Black widow , they carry several disease , lime is one checking on that and other stuff, and the wound will get worse . Also said I shouldn't be in this much pain after this long from the bite time. That is why he ran blood test. more antiB, 2 differ kinds, and 2 different pain pills. I'm flying right now and dont like it.
    Doc said The best time for IV treatment is right after the bite. I should had done IV treatment Friday. but sinse I didnt know what bit me and I really wasnt that sick Friday, the PA did what she did. I' m done with the PA.

Now that its been this long, depending on Blood test , Doc hopes a shot and new meds fix me up today. its the pain that is kicking my butt but the meds did take the edge off .Depending on blood test I might be doing the IV's . Going back in a few to get a shot and result of blood test.
    I sure aint trying to whine but that little critter sure can kick a grown mans butt real good. I would rather get hit by a truck than do this again.

Shake them shoes out, pop your cloths before getting dress, spray the house, and be
    careful when working.

later and thanks for everyone's input.

18. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    glad you got off your butt and whent to a real doc DAN

19. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was out of it yesterday. Woke up bout 4am lost. Had no ideal where I was. Thats why I dont like pain pills. LOL.
    Had to log on to read what I said yesterday. I dont even remember what I typed. LOL. Still hurt all over but the meds took the edge off of the pain some while this pass's through. Got me in a dazed and confuse mode. Other meds and shot I guess are kicking in too. Still fighting it. Wish I could eat some food. Anyway Bloods test came back ok. . I go back tomorrow. I know if this ever happens again, ER for out patience IV's. Some times , cowboy up and walked it off isnt a good ideal.

Not expecting to turn into spider man , ( LOL, ) but I wonder if all this will bump up my immune system, like eating local honey or getting a flue shot.

started this thread to see what others have experience with a spider bite Give us all some insight , warning , wake up call on spiders. Thanks to all for your input.. Spider bites aint something to fool around with.

20. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Dan, just hang in there buddy. I got bit by a Black Widow just under the eye on a trip to Arkansas almost a month ago. If you go to Missouri Fishing section you will find that post with the heading "my luck in arkansas" with my bite it didn't take long for my face to swell and I spent the night in the hospital. The worse pain was when they had to force ear wicks in my ear to keep it from completly closing. It hurt like hell for the next week or so and it took about three weeks to fully recover. The bite felt like it was constantly on fire and my ear and jaw was in non-stop pain.

This is a picture just after coming home from the hospital the next day. As you can see my eye is still swollen shut, face a little puffy and my jaw is still swollen. It took a long time for all the swelling to come down. I forget what meds I was taking, but I had a few of them I had to take.

Don

Attached Files: