Spent the night on the St. Joe.

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by matahone, Jul 18, 2009.

1. matahone

matahone New Member

State:
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    I met Ronski last night and we gave it a valiant effort on the St. Joe. I ended up catching 3 small channels to add to the mess of fish for a fish fry next month. It was a cold miserable night. It rained most of the night and the wind was cold. Temperature was around 55 degrees. All in all it was better than work and being skunked. Thanx for meeting and using your boat. We will use mine next time.

2. duff

duff Guest

You should have broke out the steelhead gear:smile2:

3. DieRache

DieRache New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I am going out tonight on the St Joe. Hope to find where the big ones are hiding at this year. And yes the weather around here is just nuts cold, hot rain, fog more cold, more hot. Where on the Joe where you all at? RonSKi is a great guy to fish with I have went out 2 times with him.

4. matahone

matahone New Member

State:
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    Duff,
    We did throw crankbaits for them before dark..., were did all of mine go?:confused2:

We put in at the golf course. I want to get out again but it will be a couple weeks before I can. I may make a road trip down to Freeman/Shafer or the Wabash then. I would like to hit some other water. I have room in my boat if anyone wants to go. I am thinking July 29, a Wednesday, all night.

5. duff

duff Guest

Those rockbass sure did eat abunch. I bet those big wally divers would have caught one for you!!!:embarassed:

6. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yes, it was beautiful out there till about midnight. Once I got wet, that little breeze got kinda chilly :sad2: Too bad all I caught were little smallmouth. Wally Divers didn't get nothing for me.That's ok though, I'd rather have the guest catch fish when I take someone out. The steelhead made me look stupid too, I've caught enough in my life to know I'm not stupid, but I just couldn't figure it out. Maybe I'm is stupid :wink: Anyway, it was still a fun night, lots of deer stories to keep us awake and thankfully nobody got zapped from throwing their line over the power lines:wink: I guess when we take your boat, that means I get to catch them all right??

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  7. DieRache

DieRache New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ronski, I will be going out his Friday Night with the other guys, would like to see ya there, come on down, we may not catch a big amount but it will be fun> And to anyone else who may like to show up just send me an IM and we can set it up.

8. matahone

matahone New Member

State:
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    Who'da thought there were power lines by a dam! :crazy: I thought I was going to electricute us all!

I am still looking for partner on the 29th. I am heading down to Oakdale dam below Freeman Lake if anyone is interested. I will be taking my boat. I will leave in the early afternoon and return the following morning depending on how the bite is. It is about an 1 1/2 hour drive from my house.

9. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Matt, I'll most likely be there. I'll be better rigged now that I know what to expect too ;)

And Cal, I MIGHT be able to make it down there with you, not totally sure yet, but I'll let you know soon...

10. Jef

Jef New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ronski
    might start to have more company at the dam at night. Words getting out about the steelhead. Guys on the wall were getting small cats at the face of the dam last night. But everyone was talking about the steelhead spashing around.

11. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Jef, nice to hear from you! Too bad those stupid steelhead aren't actually BITING, or are they?? You fishing tonight?

12. Jef

Jef New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yea, My son is fishing a bass tourney tonight till 9. I'm headed up river as soon as he is done.

You need any frozen shad let me know, my wife is not to happy with their unique smell in the extra freezer.

13. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Me too, but I'm headed up to Michigan. I'll take all the shad you want to give away. Get ahold of me tomorrow & I'll come pick them up, I'll send you my number...

14. matahone

matahone New Member

State:
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    Keep me posted if you are going to make it, ron, the spot is saved for you as of now.

15. DieRache

DieRache New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ron, Yes the steelies are bitting. Wierd I know but they are. I hooked into on with a crawler the other day. And Cats are biting better now at the damn. I still think the wash out along the boyies would produce. Calling for storms friday so i dont know if ill make it out there.

16. luvndabeers

luvndabeers New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey guys, new to the site and this is the thread i was looking for. I just started working nights(2pm-10pm) a few weeks ago and am trying to get in to catfishing from shore since my boat isn't equipt with lights. i live about 2 miles from the joe on the elkhart/st.joe county line. I was thinking about going down to the damn...Zappia park where all the steel headers go, is this a good place to start and i was thinking about bluegill or suckers for bait. I've only fished for cats a few times i'm more of a crappie bluegill guy. Any help would be great. Thanks

17. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Russ. I'm sure some of those St Joe river guys will help you out!

18. luvndabeers

luvndabeers New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks, glad to be here!

19. DieRache

DieRache New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yea the dam is a good place at times. Zappa park little hard to get to when the water is up. I use cut bait that I catch down there as well as crawlers and liver. Not too many flatheads caught below the dam. If you are wanting to go tonight the 29th of Aug IM me I should be heading down there tonight as well.

20. luvndabeers

luvndabeers New Member

State:
    Indiana

I've never heard of anyone catching flatties in south bend or mishawaka?