Spent the Day with Some Wounded Marines

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by WylieCat, Jul 14, 2006.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    As some of you know I do video production work for a living. Today we did a shoot for ESPN at Camp LeJeune in NC. The story was about Carolina Hurricanes hockey player Glen Wesley bringing the Stanley Cup to the base to share with some Marines at Maxwell Hall, also known as the "wounded warrior barracks."

Maxwell Hall is part of a new program that allows wounded Marines to stay in military so that they can be trained for another job, and most of all work through the healing process alongside other injured Marines.

I was impressed on many levels today. First, I found it refreshing that professional hockey player Glen Wesley decided to share his day with the Stanley Cup with the wounded Marines. Wesley, who is now an American citizen, was born in Canada. Second, I was impressed with the spirit of the wounded Marines. They spoke of their injuries in a joking manner, and laughed and poked good hearted fun at the other injured Marines.

Proof, that the American spirit can be injured, but it never dies.

Here are some links to the story:
    http://www.marines.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/0/CD73C93DB8304F6C852571AA0074A562?opendocument

http://www.newbernsj.com/SiteProces...ates/Details.cfm&StoryID=28800&Section=Sports

2. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Excellant, uplifting story. The Marine Corp is our first line of defence and we all need to spend time with them and pray for them. I hope Mr Wesley wasn't there for a Photo op and has a true desire to see these men uplifted.

3. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Good post and good work sounds like you had an interesting day

4. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Isn't it great the guys get to go to a place like Maxwell Hall instead of being dumped, like so many have in the past? In the history of our world there are two predominate forces who would give up their lives for you. Jesus died for your soul. The American G.I. dies to give you freedom. Lets never forget them, and what they have done for us. Thanks for the post. Jack.

5. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    Good post, it's great seeing people in the spotlight spend some of their busy time with the wounded service men and women but like Jammer said hopefully it wasn't for a photo op.

6. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Camp LeJeune, oh the memories of that place! I hope that you had a great time while you were there, sometimes I actually miss that place. Semper Fi and Godspeed!

Aaron

TA2D

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sounds like fun. I know it lifted some spirits. Humbleing, wasn't it?

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Dieter why in heck didn't you say you were coming.I work here at Camp Lejeune and the Stanley Cup really caused a buzz.First let me assure you Mr Wesley did NOT do it for a photo op.He was genuinely inspired by the wounded Marines which is hard to do to someone that is in the spotlight.I personally sent a Gunny from my office to Iraq last year and he was wounded by an IED and in fact lost his right eye.He was 18 months from retirement and could have dodged the mission but didn't.He currently works out at our Urban terrain facility teaching other Marines how to fight and survive.His attitude is amazing and he gets great pleasure out of popping his new glass eye out and polishing it when conducting demos for VIPs.He sees it as all part of doing his duty and I have never heard a Marine bitch about his fate or cry about being wounded.Seeing the actual Stanley Cup is fantastic its kind of like the Holy Grail when you actually get to touch it.Wesleys trip made a lot of new Hurricane fans for sure and was terrific for those of us that have always supported them.I am very proud of my Marines even though I was a soldier and my son is a soldier.It is very gratifying to see the love and support that comes from the athletic world towrds the military.Every game I see regardless of sport they mention keeping our armed forces in our hearts and prayers.There are plenty of other things Mr Wesley could have done with his day with the cup.Many Marines may have dreamed of being an professional athlete but EVERYONE eventually wonders if they were good enough to have been a MARINE.Mr Wesley became one for a day.:smile2:

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Brother I am glad that you got to spend a day with them. Sounds like it was a great day of work, one you did not mind at all.

Great story, thanks for sharing. Let us know when the piece will be on TV, we will look for it.

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Dang Jim, wish I realized you were down there. I get down there every so often for some news event, so I will keep you in mind. I was there for the last presidential visit a couple of years ago. When the hurricanes start blowing through I will probably be along the coast.

Actually Wesley was kinda shocked that there was such a media showing.
    Plus, I think he would have dressed better for a canned photo op!!!! :lol:

As for when it will air, it should have been on SportsCenter yesterday, so if you Tivo'd it, check it out.

11. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm glad yall were able to do that. Those Marines deserve a lot more attention than they get.

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Great story Thanks for sharing

13. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Dieter, thanks for sharing brother........

14. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thats great, thanks for sharing your story.

15. mike79

mike79 New Member

State:
    west virginia
    GREAT STORY
    :lol:

16. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    As an Old Soldier I am glad to see they are being taken care of!

17. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    They deserve it. Iam glad it went well. He sounds like a real gentleman to me. So many others would not have done somthing like this for their adopted country.

18. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    im glad they are re training these soldiers to give them a new lease on
    a career instead of shipping them out the back door with a disabled label
    pinned to them.
    sounds like that would have been a memorable day .

19. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That's a great post. Thanks for sharing.

20. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Thanks for sharing that WylieCat. You're gonna have to tell me more about that, next time we are on the water.