Speedometer Quit!

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Bigunz, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Bigunz

Bigunz New Member

I was out on the water last week, Ohio River actually and it was up a bit, running pretty good and had a fair amount of debris floating around.......I noticed right before I left that my speedometer wasn't working??? Could there be something lodged in the pick-up, or whatever there is that determines speed through the outboard?!?! Thanks!!!

Remember, the only stupid question is the one not asked, :p

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    my Neighbor Has A 40 Yamaha And His Does That. Onhis On The Bottom The On The Side There Is A Real Small Hole. He Takes A Small Wire Runs Up In The Hole And It Will Work For Awhile. ( Like To Never Found That Hole.) Might Give That A Try.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You either have an external pick up/pitot tube, that's the little white plastic thingy hanging down to the right of your engine, or you've got the little hole in the leading edge of your lower unit. Either could be plugged. Check them for debri.

The pitot tube is desigened to kick up when it hit's something. You can just push it back down.

4. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Sounds like a good excuse to by a gps to me! :)

5. Bigunz

Bigunz New Member

Thanks guys......I'm familiar with the white pick-up that mounts on the back of the transom, I don't have that but I wasn't sure where the hole would be located on the lower unit to check it but now I know what to look for......and as a matter of fact, I do have GPS, I just installed a Lowrance 332c with the external antenna and lemme tell ya's, those things ROCK!!!! Very well worth the money!!!!!! Thanks guys!!!!

6. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I hope they dont post speed limits on lakes. I used to set my speed by RPM. My speedometer never worked long so I noted cruising speed at certain RPM. Had a car the same way.

Now if I can figure out how to hook this GE turbine into boat. I figure at 120 mph I can fish all the water. lol