Speed question

Discussion in 'Boating' started by teamclose, Oct 16, 2006.

1. teamclose

teamclose Guest

just wondering if anyone knew about how fast a polar kraft 2096 (or similar boat) would run w/ a 140 hp 4-stroke?

2. idolg

idolg New Member

State:
    Colfax, NC
    Depending on the prop pitch. Higher the number of pitch the faster it will go but you will suffer on the bottom end.

3. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I can only answer your question by saying, "probably faster than I want to go".

My 20'er, will go 30 MPH with 3 people & a full load of gear. It is equipped with a 70HP-4 stroke Suzuki.

At times I could stand to go a bit faster but I love the fuel economy....If you got horses....You gotta feed 'em......:eek:oooh:

4. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Greg,

First off let me be the first person on the BOC board to congratulate you and Scott on being the 2006 Cabela's Classic Champions, 504# in 12 fish that is freaking awesome, I want to see pictures of those fish and the boat, got a special page on my website to honor you guys so send me those pictures.............Doc

5. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    congrats guys that had to have been quite the rush to win that one.

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have a 1885 polar kraft with a 90 horse and loaded it will run about 45. There are so many things to consider.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Look for performance bulletins on the engine manufacturer's web site - if you can't find that exact boat, there's probably one very similar to it that's been tested with the particular engine you have.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I looked at the specs for the PolarKraft 2096 CC -- it's only rated for up to 400 lbs of outboard. Doesn't give a maximum HP, but a 4-stroke 115hp Mercury or Yamaha weighs right at 400 lbs.

So I doubt you can put a 140 hp 4-stroke on that boat.

A 135hp OptiMax and a 135hp Verado both weigh well over 400 lbs as well.

Looks like 115 is about as big as you can go. And that's probably too much -- I've got a 115 Yamaha 4-stroke on my Xpress HD18SC and it's way too much motor and is way too heavy. But it's the maximum HP the boat is rated for. If I had to do it again, I would have stopped at 90.

115hp on a 20 ft modified V hull ought to be just right.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Depending on your total boat capacity (weight) you should be able to run in the mid to upper 50's with a 115hp and the correct prop. Food for thought. If someone runs to a certain hot spot faster than you he probably will not be able to put two rods out before you arrive. Speed is not the answer, thank safety.:wink:

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    If you have the extra 2 grand around step up to the 150. Thats probably what i'm going to get on my next boat. With the bigger block you will save more in gas. Since to run the same speed you should be going at a lower RPM. Both motors are inline 4's. To top it off the 150's have 175 cu. inches of displacement. More then any other 4 stroke 150 out there. At least from what I can tell. They are also lighter then the other brands. 9k for a 140 or 11k for a 150hp... Big difference in 10 ponys.