Speed Freaks!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by bownero, Mar 1, 2009.

1. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Just checked out the Mathews website and seen a new bow that's going to hit the market! It's called the MONSTER XLR8. This bow has a few changes from the normal Mathews bow, including split limbs and dual cams. Matt McPherson series bow with the Mathews name still put on it.

It specs claims speeds of 360 fps! Now for you speed freaks that's smoking fast. Not to down the Mathews bows at all, but I think this is way to fast to have accuracy and forgiveness added. This bow is not for the beginner. Advanced and pros might love this bow or just plain hate it. We'll see in later tests.

I think alot of these bow companies are pushing the speed envelope a little to far and getting out of the accuracy for the average JOE archer. I know my Hoyt Katera rated at 330 fps IBO is a little to much for me, but I can still control it with great accuracy. Next purchase will be a slower and more forgiving bow for sure.

Check out the Mathews website and see for yourself. Comments welcome!!

Mark..http://www.mathewsinc.com

2. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I agree,bet it has a high price to.

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Mark, I agree that speed is just hype. My bow says 304 in the magazine but with the heavy arrows and 125 Gr tips I "guess" Im probably around 280 which is fine with me. I care more about accuracy myself. I see some guys flinging arrows where I shoot all over the place, just hope they dont plan on hunting.

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    mcphearson has engineered some great bows!! i have a mcphearson king cobra that is wicked fast when set on kill!!! but i have slowed it down with a cam change and it is now a great hunting bow!!!

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Agree 100% Ozzy! Accuracy should be a first thought in bow purchase!
    Speed is just an advantage to increase kinetic energy of an arrow, with less draw weight when considering hunting applications.

Speed is great as long as it is controllable. But pushing the bar with unheard of speeds is to much for the average bow hunter. To me this is to much and should be less consideration for a hunter. 3-d archers can benefit shooting lighter arrows with faster bow speeds. It takes alot of guesswork out of guessing yardage. Using 1 pin for shots 10-30 yards or more, with accuracy, speed of an arrow is of a benefit.

Hunting applications, speed can benefit, to increase energy when large animals like moose, elk, big bear and the African big 5 are involved.

In my book, todays bows with speeds of 305-320 IBO fps. speed is more than adequate to take most big game! Even at long ranges. As long as the bow shoots a properly spined arrow, that has great accuracy. Of course broadhead sharpness applies too!

I think these bow companies are getting a little out of hand and the competition to compete with each other with speed bows. Give me an accurate bow any day. 360 fps. IBO! That's to much for a hunter in my book!!

6. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    in talking with alot of people about archery hunting i think that most average joe hunters believe that if they buy one of these higher speed bows then they won't have a deer jump the string or duck the shot. or they think that the higher speeds will extend their hunting range to a rediculous yardage that they have no buisness taking a shot at an animal at. i guess common sense is pretty rare now as this line of thought is ludicrous. then they get the bow and can't shoot it well at all and they start taking bad shots at animals. these high speed bows are for experienced bow hunters who have good technique and who puts in the practice time.

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    If someone can put the time in and make it work,sure. I wonder what the Olympic teams shoot just for good measure. Probably between 40-45 pounds my guess.

8. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I have shot the reezen and its speed is at 340 but i dont like the draw cycle on the spped bows. To stiff for me imo. To each there own if you can shoot it by all means have fun. I am with the rest of you i like speed but i also like forgivness. I shoot the drenalin ld and im shooting 310 and its forgiving. I dont see myself buying a speed bow anytime soon.

9. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    I just shot the new Hoyt Alphamax on Friday. It is a wicked fast bow, but I was really surprised by how smooth the draw cycle was. It was pretty quiet and had no hand jump for as much speed as it throws. There was some noticable vibration that you could feel through the riser for a while after the shot, but it wasnt enough to make any noise or any lower accuracy. I was also shooting it without a stabilizer, which would most likely have dampened it. I also shot the Ice Man by Diamond and it is IBO rated at 20 fps slower but has a pretty fierce draw cycle. Its pretty obvious that the new rage in the archery industry is speed. It seems like every 5 years or so most of the companies catch up to whatever the craze is, and then something else takes control. Its kinda funny how Mathews pushed how good a single cam was and how much better single cam bows were, and now all of a sudden there it is-a twin cam Mathews. I see alot of people buying these ultra fast bows with aggressive cycles and I just wonder how many dont even get to use that speed. Im sure there will be more than 1 hunter out there come November thats been sitting on stand for hours in the cold all bundled up and has a deer get in tight, and cant even draw because of that coupled with the aggressive cams on their super fast bows.

10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    That's exactly the poundage most of them shoot. Try shooting 100-200 arrows a day set at 60-70 lbs. I'd be wore out!!:tounge_out:

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Speed ain't everything. My old intruder shoots about 265fps and still gets it done. Guess the deer i hunt are slower than the new deer.:smile2: I had 10 to 1 rather have something i can shoot and doesn't sound like the screen door slammin shut.

12. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    I dont see the point in ever shooting 100-200 arrows a day. Even if your shooting only 50-60 pounds, by the time you would get to that point, even if stretched out throughout an afternoon, I think your form would be degraded to the point of severe inaccuracy. Accuracy is all about having the same form time after time, no matter what position your body is in. It does absolutely no good shoot that many arrows. A deer isnt going to let you warm up for 10 shots before you make a shot on it. I used to shoot a 3-D league and there were guys that were boasting that they shot 150 shots a day, every day from March till October. These same guys were the ones that were missing deer. Im not saying that Im an expert, but it makes more sense in my head to shoot an arrow, go do something else for a bit, then come back and shoot another. I usually shoot 1 as soon as I get home from work in the morning, then go in a get a bowl of cereal, come back out and shoot another, then go get some chores done and shoot another. I usually dont shoot more than a dozen shots a day. Cold muscles are just as hard to control as tired muscles. If you loosen up before you shoot, you may have a slightly different position than when your cold. Also, shooting cold will tell you wether or not your draw weight is too high. When Im on stand on a particularly cold day, I will draw the bow every hour or so just to keep it from squeeking on me and to keep the body warm. Just a few observations, Im not trying to put anyone down, shooting more is better than shooting a dozen arrows the day before the season and expecting to make an ethical shot on a deer.

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    When I practice Ill shoot about 2 dozen on average, I dont just lob them off, I concentrate on every shot. I have shot 6 in the past and that was enough and have shot as many as 50 if I feel in the groove. I cant really say how many Ill shoot until I do. Bottom line I dont push myself just to shoot, it aint worth it.

14. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I dont see the point in ever shooting 100-200 arrows a day.

I agree! Everybody has their different practice routine. I know some Olympic archers and pros that shoot 100-200 arrows a day. Their point is repetition of the same process. Doing it over and over again. Focusing on form, stance, aiming, follow-through,etc. Some pros have a checklist of approx. 30 different things to remember, before the arrow leaves the bow. It's a mind-set. Archery: 90% mental-10% physical.

Most of the articles I have read, mention some pros and advid archers will shoot 20-50 arrows 3-4 days a week. Guys like Randy Ulmer, start their routine by blind-bale shooting to get the confidence factor in mind and then start shooting at short yardages and then back up. When finished, he will plink another few arrows at point blank with the eyes closed. Just another great thing to do, to keep the confidence up. This is a great thing to do, for those that have target panic. IT WORKS. I've had it and this is the practice routine I do now.

Thanks.
    Mark..

rem. practice doesn't make perfect/perfect practice makes perfect.

15. jarhead

jarhead New Member

State:
    ohio
    i started bow hunting two years ago and only shot about a dozen arrows twice a week after about 2 months i started robin hooding arrows last year after i bought more arrows and didnt have to keep walking to the target to pull arrows out i started shooting alot more and i was lucky to keep them in an 8 inch circle and i was looking for guidence from a guy at the range and he told me me to stop shooting so much and i did and slowly my groups started to tighten back up just in time before bow season so now i keep the shooting sessions short

16. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    good advice fellas.

17. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    the matthews dealer here in ellinwood is still waiting to get the monsters in. i looked at some used ones though and i wouldent mind having one

18. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    The Monster bow is for very experienced shooters! That eliminates pretty much all hunters, including myself. This bow could be shot effectively by a handful of shooters. Not a bow meant for accuracy! The speed hype has the attention of many archers and accuracy has been thrown out the window. Not right! the reason why the Monster XLR8 was made is, because Mathews fell off the market last year with the production of PSE's X-Force bow. So Matt McPherson had a brain-storm to make and manufacture a bow that breaks the sound-barrier with speed. Some may like it, but most will hate it. That's the truth!! Check out some other Mathews bows that are meant for hunters. That would be wise!!

Just some help!!

19. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    If you dont put the scary sharp broadhead in the vitals all the speed in the world wont help. People laugh at my bow,bought it used in '01. Bear Whitetail Supreme, 48lb's,31"draw flings'em out at 250fps. This bow has taken over 40 deer in 7 seasons, got the goose egg in '06 with it. Archery is following the magnum gun craze, I hear new comer's all the time spoutin off about speed and using IBO in sentences like its a sword,lol. Killed my first bow deer in 1980 with a Bear 76'er Recurve,40lb,fiberglass arrow and a home made sheet metal broadhead..never chronographed it but I'd guess it was shootin them out at a blistering 175?

20. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Yes! The speed craze has swept the Archery World. Seems like every bow company out there has a bow designed for the speed minded freaks! Myself included, the Hoyt Katera I own is Hoyt's premier speed bow, but yet is still forgiving and accurate. I can control it as long my form is perfect and keep my back tight throughout the shot. No creeping with this bow. I'm considering on purchasing a Hoyt Alphamax this fall that's slower and more forgiving with awesome accuracy!!