Speed cable

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by clintonhawg1, Mar 23, 2007.

1. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    This is the first boat i have had with a console. And i got a speed cable with it and not sure were it goes to pickup the water .The cable is hollow from end to end it has the brass female on the speedometer end and nothing on the other end any suggestions.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It is not cable driven, but pressure driven. The black hose you have should cross your transom at some point and connect to a plastic pickup tube mounted to the rear of the transom. As the boat moves forward, water pressure causes an increase in the air pressure within the hose, registering as movement on your speedometer. If your input tube is missing, just go to a boat store and pick up another one. Reasonably cheap. LOL

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Better yet go and purchase you a hand held GPS system because those speedo's for those boats made like the one you have there will lie like a yellow dog to yea.:big_smile:

4. Thommo

Thommo New Member

State:
    Tasmania, Australia
    My Yamaha has a fitting built into the leg. Just below the bottom steering pivot there is a little tube sort of folded over and hidden a little. If yours has similar then just plug your tube into it and the speedo will work.