Specks...

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by C_wernett, Dec 28, 2007.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Local river here the speckled trout have been on FIRE. That fish has my number and I got three the other day between 16 1/2 and 19 1/4" My buddy on the boat with me got 5 that were 3-5lbs. He went out the next day and got three. One at 4lbs, one just over 6lbs., and one at 8lbs 10oz. Called me this morning and limited out (10) between 3 and 5lbs. There on 'em if you can find them for sure.

Coastal areas have high numbers of year class fish, 10-12". You can't catch massive numbers of them right now, but again, not the quality fish that are in the rivers and creeks right now. Commercial buddies of mine have spotted schools in the coastal regions with as many as 1,000 fish in the school. Trout numbers are higher than they've been in along time, or possibly ever since there have been no big freeze/consiquential kill off in the past three years.

So the short is, if you're in coastal N.C. right now and are a trout man, it's time to get out there and get them!

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    down here on the gulf coast we have had a phenomenal year for speckled trout. the numbers are here, and the size of fish is improving. i have yet to catch one over 5.5 #'s. but, my day will come. an 8# speck..... wow! that is bad to the bone.

3. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Here in NE Florida the trout and redfish bite is HOT as well. Both shallow and deep. Went off-shore yesterday for Reds and landed 3, one 37 inches, one 39 inches and a heavyweight at 43 inches. those are in the 30 pound plus range..Way too big to keep but fun to catch.. Lots of 5 to 10 pounders in the shallow flats. Trout are closed until the first of the year here. Trout are closed??? Slot limits where you gotta throw the big breeders back??? Reduced bag limits ??? :eek:oooh: Might just be why the fishing is getting better every year !!!

4. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    With the way it's going up here, if they closed trout season you'd have to catch fingerling trout for bait instead of mullet next year! I actually caught a 13" bluefish a month or so ago that had the tell-tale bite mark of a trout on it's side. Now that's a fish with balls to attact a bluefish!

5. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    Great Report! The Winter "bite" is on in the SE coastal marshes here. Trout being migratory are well "inside" now in ponds ,bayous and lagoons.One thing we do not have is the size in wintertime. We can literally catch 100+ using soft plastics under a cork but most will be a 1/4 to 1/2" under the legal size of 12" "keepers". Typically there is no problem getting your limit of 25 in a couple of hours. The great thing about winter fishing is they will "stackup" in dead end canals or entrances to natural bayous. If you get into a batch of small trout you pickup and find another school that may be larger. Drifting over oyster beds with a drift sock is another way to have some fun in smaller lakes. There are so many fish concentrated in areas there is no need to use live bait. Any plasticwith an 1/8 or 1/4 oz plain jig head is good enough, one of the popular plastics is the LSU bayou chub. (Purple and chartr. tail)-this color catches reds/flounder/specks equally.
    I envy the size you are catching .6lb+ trout is certainly a wall hanger. Of the thousands of trout I've caught over years my personal best 6lb12oz. Eight pound and above are what dreams are made of,akindred to the 195class buck rack.
    Hope to give a report Saturday from a Hopedale Louisiana Marsh trip!!

6. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Just got back from a day of speck fishing. We did pretty good with 4 very nice trout. Fished some creeks off the waterway. Caught them on white and silver jigs.

7. Tinsldr2

Tinsldr2 New Member

State:
    GA
    The fish are there and in numbers because they had no fear in 07. Why did they have no fear? because Paul and I have been locked away In Iraq lol:wink:

Really,thanks for the excellent report. I cant wait to catch them next year (home in June). I need to get my post count up over ten!

8. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Couple of quick pictures from this trip...sorry for the delay!

Attached Files:

9. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Condad ,
    Sounds like some great fun , wish I was there. Thanks for sharing the fishing report and the photos.

10. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I wish I lived close enough to fish around the coastal areas more than I get to, but it's about a 4 hr ride for me to the coast and thats running straight down I-40 to Carolina/Kure beach area. I love to fish the bays behind the beach at the Fort Fisher Public access area from surf or boat and anywhere on Topsail Island is paradise to me.