Specks like crazy... Trout Fishing

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by C_wernett, Dec 5, 2008.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, haven't gotten many beasts to brag about, but the trout bite right now has been on fire, even for a shore stomper like myself! I managed one out of a creek a few weeks ago that went 4 1/2lbs., but I've been catching days of 30-50 trout a day with fish ranging 11"-13". A lot of those days we've been getting limits of 12-13" keepers, or just missing the mark by a few fish. Not big, but darn EASY! lol

2. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    Conrad wish I was there with you. No better eating fish in the world. Thanks John

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Loved catching them when I lived in Florida ! What are they biting on ?

4. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Tearing them up on white 3" Gulp shrimp on a plain round 1/16 oz. jig. No action, just drifted with the tide. They've been hammering it!!! If you work it at all, the bite is reduced more than 50%. I'll see if they are still on it tomorrow morning.

Here are a few pictures.

Attached Files:

5. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Here are a couple more of some red and black drum we found in a new little creek.

Attached Files:

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Do you eat the Eels?I use to skin them,cut them up into 3-4 inch lenghts and slit them alongside each side of the backbone for my grandfather.Grandmaw woulf fry them.If you do not slit alongside the backbone,they will not fry done in that area.

I also found them very popular in Europe when I was in the Navy.I prefer the Trout and Drum,but the Eels ain't bad.

I noticed your comment on the action and bite.When the water would get real cold,the Trout would stop biting around the mouth of The Savannah River area.They would not bite artificial or the expensive live Shrimp brough up out of Flordia.One day while trying all,I tried a 3/8 oZ.Red Head Jig with a Smoke and Glitter Screw Tail Grub.I found that by holding the reel handle as still as I could and working my rod so that the line would reel in,caught fish!The bite was slow,but they bit.I origionaly did it as a Joke on a cold day!For some reason,this crazy action triggers the bite.This worked best where the fish were over oyster rakes.Weird,but often worked year after year when the water got cold and the trout quit biting.The trout that bit this way were usualy the small legal keepers though I learned this before the laws now in effect.I have had buddies laugh,untill I caught fish,and then they went to doing it.You have to experiment on the speed.This is triggering a bite response somehow as these trout were not hungry and would not bite the expensive live shrimp brought up out of South Florida.

And yes.Sometimes they would not bite anyway in very cold water.I worked outside in the weather so I often went fishing in it.Winter is when I caught most of my Black Sea Bass as they got plentful on the artifical offshore reefs IF you could fish them.The water stays rough with few days to fish.Over a 6 foot sea and it was not worth it for the catch.I lived on Tybee Island Ga. then.

7. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've used live that I caught myself a couple of time, but considering that I've NEVER caught a trout on live shrimp, I definately be cashing out to buy any!!! When the bite gets slow here, a "natural" atrificial shrimp worked real slow has the same effect. The bite is nearly non-detectable, and the only "bump" you'll feel is if the fish spits the bait out. You just have to feel for any weight and set the hook...these bites usually produce the biggest trout of the season.